𝟬𝟬𝟭. she was heartache from the moment you met her

chapter one

chapter one.
( she was heartache from the moment you met her )

              THERE WAS A CERTAIN CHILL in the air that was peculiar for the peak of July

              THERE WAS A CERTAIN CHILL in the air that was peculiar for the peak of July. Summer had washed over them like a wave reaching the shore, and the bronzing of Salem's skin and peppering of freckles on the apples of her cheeks were a sure sign of the scorching months. But, alas, Salem didn't experience the overjoying sensation that came with the season like she did the past few years — in fact, Salem felt as if her head had been dunked underwater and forcibly held there.

              Since the return of Voldemort ( or so Harry Potter claimed, yet despite her immense dislike for him she found no reason to believe he was lying ), all Salem had done was spiral into blurriness. Everything had been that way from the moment the Triwizard Tournament was tragically ceased with corpse of Cedric Diggory, and the inhabitants of Slytherin House were jittering with anticipation.

              It was finally their turn. Whether that was their death or eternal glory, Salem didn't know.

              She wasn't entirely sure she wanted to know, either. There was just a niggling feeling in her gut that all wasn't as it seemed — hushed whispers between Nathaniel and Maeve Sterling that halted whenever she walked into a room and caught them had Salem writhing with frustration. It wasn't hard to be honest. Salem, however, could do with some tips.

              Marlow Sterling hardly disclosed her dislike for her younger sister. It had been evident for the last four years, and Salem had gotten used to it. It still stung, like salt in a gaping wound, but there wasn't any saving herself from the wrath of Marlow. Her older sister who, everyday until she had that wretched Sorting Hat placed on her head, had been the solace for a girl who was a tad different from the rest of them.

              Yet, since summer had began and their parents had banned the two from leaving the surrounding areas of their home in Dorset, there was a tightness in Marlow's face and an extra sheen of resentment in her eyes that Salem hadn't ever witnessed before. Marlow beamed her anger onto Salem because there wasn't anyone else to be furious with. Voldemort wasn't there. Neither was there any Death Eaters. A Slytherin who was inevitably routed to fall down that path was at the core of it all. Just like it started twenty years prior.