📐 Six

As much as she wasn't so keen on Jack's workaholic attitude, A.J. had to admit that it had its perks. Usually when Carter Construction was signed on to a project, there was still pre-construction work to be done. Working out a design with the client, helping them out with their budget plan--with Jack, all of it was taken care of. He'd even had a separate crew come out to clear and survey the land months back, finalizing the site design plan. All of this meant her crew was able to start site preparation bright and early Monday morning.

The sky was a blanket of grey, but the weather wasn't calling for any rain or snow, thank God. First they set up two little trailers on the orchard land where her workers could rest and take their breaks. Jack was kind enough to offer the use of the facilities inside the reception barn, meaning there was no need for porta potties--by far A.J.'s least favorite part of the construction biz.

Another thing that surprised her was that despite Jack's inability to spare time for his brother, he spent the morning meeting her crew, learning names and shaking hands. It was something a lot of clients never even thought to do, and she wondered if it was purely for politeness, or if he'd be more trouble than she thought. It wasn't a thought she liked having, but there'd been clients in the past who were complete backseat drivers when it came to the job, always looking over her crew member's shoulders, asking them if they were sure their work was right, critiquing every little thing.

A.J. was just leaving one of the trailers to oversee things and make sure day one was smooth sailing, her favorite to-go cup filled with warm black coffee, when she spotted a man who was definitely not part of her crew heading her way.

It didn't take long for her to figure out who he was. Even with the worn-out baseball cap, the Carhartt coat paired with a casual flannel, jeans, and a pair of dirty work boots, she recognized the resemblance he bore to Jack. He was a little taller, a little broader, and a little tanner too despite it being winter, but there was no mistaking them for anything other than twins. At least not yet, she mused, heading over to greet him.

"You must be A.J.," he said, sticking out a hand for her to shake as they met halfway. "I'm Dawson McAden."

She nodded, smiling. "The man in charge of one of the pastries I'm hoping to try as soon as the store's open. It's good to meet you."

He grinned, gesturing back to the manor. "Why wait an hour for the store? I've got a fresh batch of strudels in the oven right now. Just came out to make sure the guys were all set for the day."

"Well who could say no to a warm dessert?" She let him lead the way across the big, grassy field. Their boots crunched against the dead ground, but she was sure the expanse of land would look green and gorgeous come springtime. "Plus, I haven't gotten to see the kitchen, yet. Jack gave me a little tour after our meeting, let me ogle the architecture of the entryway and everything. Gorgeous house." She couldn't help letting out a little dreamy sigh. "And the decor choices are perfect."

"Most of that is thanks to our mother--she has good taste for that kind of thing. I wouldn't dream of trying to change it. Hell, I wouldn't even know where to start." He laughed. "Thankfully she and dad let us keep most of the furniture when they retired and moved out to one of the houses by the river. Jack makes a few little changes every now and then--he got Mom's design eye. Speaking of Jack, how're you two getting along? Things working out okay?"

"Things are working out great," she answered honestly. "Nothing to complain about so far. And he made everything really easy for my crew to get started, so I know they already like him. You know," she gave him another look-over, "everyone told me the two of you wouldn't really look like twins. I can't say I agree."

He shrugged, pursing his lips. "Yeah... I guess I'm what Jack would look like if he worked the fields, and Jack's what I would look like if I had a stick up my ass." He smirked at his own joke, but it turned into an amused grimace. "Sorry. My fiancée's always telling me I don't know when to quit."