Baris, the bear

Chapter 4

Baris, who at first looked like a serial killer, turned out to be a decent and friendly man, a very, very friendly man.

On our way to wherever my destination was, Baris never stopped talking. Yes, he did stop for a few seconds in between, but only to catch his breath, nothing more, nothing less.

In a matter of thirty minutes, my knowledge had increased. I was now very well-versed in Baris's entire family history, knowing details even about his distant ancestors. I was a different woman.

If someone had asked about Baris's great-great-great-grandmother, I could have provided her full name, her love for the color red, and a story about her reluctance to marry Baris's great-great-great-grandfather.

Astonishingly, Baris even shared tidbits about his grandfather's likes and dislikes.

"Did Sir Gelid put you up to this? To torture this girl in such a manner because simply putting a bullet in her head would've been a mercy?" The man beside Baris, who was driving the car asked with a concerned tone.

This wasn't a joke; he seriously considered this to be the perfect punishment for me. Baris snorted and glanced towards the man. "Johnny boy, focus on driving the car. You are doing what you are here to do, and I'm doing what I'm here to do."

Johnny boy smirked, taking a quick glance at Baris's face before speaking again, "And that is?"

The atmosphere in the car shifted. Baris turned towards Johnny Boy, his tone quieter but filled with menace, "That is to give you orders. Right now, I'm ordering you to zip your mouth and focus on driving this thing because I swear, if you don't, you'll be losing your life and your job, two things dear to you, in a single day."

That effectively silenced him.

No words were exchanged for the rest of the drive. I found myself wishing that Johnny hadn't interrupted Baris during his chit-chat. The cold, bitter silence now only served as a constant reminder: I was doomed.

Our journey concluded when we pulled up to a mansion atop a hill, offering a breathtaking view of the city beneath. The night had fallen, and darkness enhanced the beauty of everything. City lights glittered, creating a magical spectacle.

"Enjoying the city lights?" Baris's voice from behind snapped me out of the trance. "You're going to be here for a long time, so this view isn't going anywhere, and neither are you. Come on, let's go inside. You have a lot to see." He turned around, and I knew I had to follow him. I left all my freedom in that Fort with Gelid, the proud owner of my free will.

We entered the mansion, and I was enchanted by its interior. Although the exterior hinted at a residence fit for royalty from centuries past, the inside was surprisingly modern and unique. The staff were engrossed in their tasks, paying us no mind.

Everyone appeared serious, avoiding interaction with each other and us. We walked past them, entering a hall that seemed adorned with gold, a massive chandelier in the middle accentuating the opulence. The white marble floors, the red carpet, and the straight staircase at the end contributed to the regal appearance.

"This place doesn't concern us." Baris walked past me towards an elevator in the corner, which I had initially failed to notice. Baris, Johnny, and I entered the elevator together, and with a 'ping', we descended beneath the earth.

Once we emerged from the elevator, the air changed. Harsher and more bitter, I rubbed my hands together in an attempt to ward off the cold, to no avail.

"Don't worry. It's warmer inside." Baris assured me, his voice rougher than the cold air. We walked into a long corridor leading to a door in the distance.

"Is Johnny his real name? I'm sorry, but he doesn't look like a Johnny." I asked Baris about Johnny, who walked silently ahead of us.

He smiled at my question and shook his head softly. "Johnathan. His name is Johnathan. He is a newbie just like you, and, well, let's just say freshies here don't exactly get the royal treatment they expect."

Baris pointed towards me with an amusing look. "You should try to befriend him. Most probably, you will both start your training together. It will be comforting to know that you've got a friend here in this place." Although what Baris said was true, I had a hunch that Johnathan and I weren't going to be friends anytime soon.

Behind that door was a vast living room with a  black-painted roof. Filled with various high-tech gadgets, the room had a modern touch. Five to ten guys occupied the space, some watching TV, talking, and some at the bar drinking. Some approached us, greeting Baris with respect, while all of them ignored me.

"Celie, from today, you'll think of them as your family. Just like a family, we live together and eat together. This is our home. With time, you'll get to know these guys and make bonds that you'll never forget." Baris gently reminded me as he gave me a tour. I've never been to one but this place definitely gave off an appearance of a college dorm, only it was more exquisite and richer.

Finally, we reached my room, and he used a spare key to open it. The room was decent, better than what I had before. There were three beds – two occupied, and the third one seemed untouched. The room was completely dark, and I couldn't see anything other than my bed. They dim light from the doorway only allowed me to see what was mine.

"Rest for now. It's pretty late. Tomorrow morning you'll get to meet your roommates. Best you have a good night's sleep before that." Baris smiled at me, but before he could close the door, I stopped him – surprising both him and myself.

"Baris, what am I? I mean, what am I doing here? What is this place, and who is Gelid?" I never thought I would ask these questions out loud due to fear, but I did. Baris contemplated before speaking.

"We are Gelid's army. We do not have swords or horses, but we surely know how to use guns and put fear into the minds of the ones facing us. Celie, never forget how Gelid took you in when you were destined for the fall. Never forget his mercy in the times when everyone forsook you."

Baris's words were sharp but held a weight too heavy for me to bear. I weakly nodded my head, and the door was closed. As I lay on my back, the room enveloped in darkness, I couldn't help but wonder how much time would pass before I could see Gelid again. I wanted to see him again, even if it was only for a moment.