Chapter 5: Settling in

Wednesday, 1st July 1891

Poke. Poke. Poke.

Sunlight streamed through the windows of the little house that sat on top of a small hill. It held memories of joy and laughter from its previous owners, as was evident with the several little projects hung on the walls. From embroidery to flower pressings, each display was framed in sets of two, one signed with an E and the other with an M.

Poke. Poke. Poke.

Sebastian finally moved his finger away from her cheek. He brushed a few loose strands of hair off her face. During the school year, her eyebrows were usually furrowed as she chewed on her bottom lip. In her sleep, she was relaxed and at peace. "Adalinda?" He whispered, his hot breath tickling her ear.

Adalinda's eyes snapped open as she jolted forward, her head colliding with Sebastian's. He tumbled off her bed with a shout, his hand catching the bedsheets and ripping them off her figure in the process.

Adalinda groaned, clutching her throbbing head as she swung her feet over the bed, ignoring the slight chill of the morning air. As she knelt beside Sebastian who was rubbing his forehead, the floorboards creaking at the shift of weight, she heard a snort from the other end of the room.

"Serves you right, dimwit." Ominis said, his back towards them, all nice and comfortable under his sheets. What Adalinda wouldn't give to be back in bed, warm and asleep.

"It was your idea." Sebastian protested, blinking the stars out of his eyes as he stood, extending a hand for Adalinda to take. He hovered his other hand as a safeguard around her waist as she shakily stood up.

"No, it wasn't, you came to me for approval."

"Well, then you agreed to it!"

"Did not, just told you good luck."

"All right, fine, you win!" Sebastian plopped down on his bed, pouting with his arms crossed like a child.

"As always." Ominis rolled over to face them, a grin stretched across his face. Adalinda didn't need to have all her thoughts collected to know that out of the three of them, he was having the best morning by far.

"Good morning, Adalinda."

"Morning, Ominis." She groaned, her sight finally started to clear up as she rubbed her temples.

"And no greetings extended towards me?"

She rolled her eyes as she spread the white linen back out onto her bed. "Good morning to you too, Sebastian."

"Good morning, Adalinda." He said, back to his cheery self again as he flopped backwards onto his bed.

Her attention was quickly turned to the faint knocks coming from downstairs. Since she was the only one standing, she figured she may as well answer whoever just showed up. "I'll get the door."

Not bothering to change out of her nightwear, she grabbed her wand, and made her way down the stairs. Opening the door, she was greeted by a familiar face.

"Hello, Miss Selwyn." Professor Weasley politely addressed the girl, the corners of her eyes slightly crinkling as she noticed Adalinda was still in her pyjamas with tousled hair.

"Good morning, Professor." Adalinda pushed Sebastian's shoes out of view with her foot as she stretched her arms wide and pretended to yawn.

Professor Weasley waved her wand, and a few bags of produce and meals floated into the house and onto the kitchen countertop. Adalinda's mouth watered as she noticed one specific bag was filled with fresh pastries.