Chapter 2 - Caffeine

Lucas was quiet as they walked on the sidewalk, a funny looking duo. Tall guy with nice clothes and a killer smile, slender girl with legs that never ended and a blunt haircut that rested just on her collarbones. Red lips paired with oversized, expensive sunglasses but neither said a word. She glanced up at Lucas, trying to gauge what was wrong but she couldn't read his face. What did I say?

A girl, red hair and big green eyes smiled as she approached them. "Excuse me," she smiled up at Lucas, completely ignoring Dakota.

"Umm," Lucas pulled his thick rimmed glasses from his shirt pocket and awkwardly put them back on his face. "Hey," he said, a friendly smile on his freckled face.

"Do you know the way to the cinema from here?" The girl asked.

Dakota smiled as she pointed to the news agency a few steps ahead and began rifling through the selection of books for sale in the bargain bin. She peered over her sunglasses as the girl battered her eyelashes and twisted her finger through strawberry blonde locks. She's preening herself for you, Lucas.

"Oh sure," Lucas began animatedly giving her directions paired with overenthusiastic hand gestures.

Dakota smirked, he has no idea that girl is flirting with him. She watched Lucas, searching for what the girl found so appealing in her lanky friend. In the past year, since graduating high school he had grown taller, broader and musclier. His hair was a little longer since he had grown it out. He tucked a thick strand of his brown, unruly hair behind his ear as he finished telling her directions and listened to her talk.

When he turned to look at Dakota she averted her gaze to the book in her hand, he began walking over and she read the title. It was some book about bondage for married couples, a romance and Lucas snorted. She shoved the book back in the pile but it was too late so she just shrugged.

"Getting frisky are we?" He smiled.

She glanced beyond Lucas to the redhead who was lighting a cigarette and smiling at Lucas, eyes fixed firmly to his rear that moulded against tight black jeans. "No," She replied with a smile, "thought you and your new girlfriend could have a read." She tried to keep a straight face but burst out laughing when Lucas frowned, following her gaze.

He shook his head, "She was just being nice."

Dakota was on her tiptoes as she snaked and arm over his shoulders, "Oh, bless."

"What?" He said when she ruffled his hair, he swatted her hand away and shrugged. "What the hell are you talking about?"

"She liked you," Dakota said casually.

Lucas shook his head, "People being nice doesn't always mean flirting, Dakota."

"Yes," she poked his ribs, "It does, for you, it does."

"No–"

"Admit it," She said as they paused outside La Lattè, she folded her arms twirling to face him. "You're a spunk Lucas, girls like you."

When he said nothing, she raised one her dark eyebrows and poked out her tongue. He looked over his shoulder, as casually as possible to find the redhead, just as Dakota said, batting her eyelashes and smiling. He cringed, turning to Dakota, Lucas immediately began fidgeting. It was his neon sign that he was uncomfortable, she knew because he had been her best friend for seven years. She knew him, sometimes better than she knew herself.

He looked down at his large hands, fumbling with the zip of his black hoodie and chewed on the inside of his cheek. "I..."

She was hanging on his words, "What? Spit it out."