Iᴛs Nɪᴄᴇ ᴛᴏ Hᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ Fʀɪᴇɴᴅ

Iɴᴠɪsɪʙʟᴇ Sᴛʀɪɴɢ | Cʟᴀʀɪssᴇ Lᴀ Rᴜᴇ

"Something gave you the nerve
To touch my hand
It's nice to have a friend,"

___________________________________________________________________________

Claire was starting to regret running after this girl, she had never been in the woods surrounding the camp. So she was pretty sure she was lost. She honestly doesn't know what compelled her to run after Clarisse, it's like her legs moved before her brain could process what she was doing.

Continuing, she followed what could have been a path - but was now overgrown with flowers, their stems thick and rooted deep into the earth. To be quite honest she didn't know what she was looking for, she just wanted to comfort Clarisse.

Suddenly she heard a twig snap, pulling the girl out of deep thought. Just ahead of her was an opening with tall grass. Clarisse was there, armored up practicing with her spear, her jabs fierce and quick.

Claire brought her hand up, shielding her eyes from the sun as she walked into the clearing. Clarisse quickly turned around, sensing something behind her. It was-,

"Claire?," the hint of softness was quickly covered up with annoyance.

"Clarisse," Claire let out a breath, relieved to see the girl was okay.

"What do you want?" She said looking at the white-haired girl, she looked even prettier in the sunlight, Clarisse thought, her face softened for a moment but she was quick to put her mean face on again, looking down at the girl.

Claire suddenly felt small when Clarisse looked down at her, despite their only a few inches height difference.

"Well...I just wanted to check on you, after you, you know stormed out at lunch," Claire said fiddling with her fingers.

Clarisse's eyes narrowed, and she scoffed, walking back to practicing sparring.

Claire walked over to Clarisse, now a little frustrated. She had come all the way out here, in that scary forest and this girl couldn't even appreciate that.

"Excuse me?"Claire inquired, crossing her arms.

Clarisse let out an annoyed sigh, taking off her helmet, and turning back towards the girl.

"You're excused," she said, a slight smirk on her face.

Claire's eyes widened, clenching her jaw,"I came out here just to make sure you were okay, and I don't even get a thank you?"

"Listen, sweetheart, no one asked you to do that, did they?" Clarisse said, slightly happy she was getting under the girl's skin.

Claire inhaled, ready to say something back, before realizing Clarisse was right.

"Well -- I, "she let out a huff, she had no comeback to that, Clarisse was right, no one asked her to come out here, so why did she?

She looked down at her feet, not knowing what to say.

"It's nice you did though, "Clarisse broke the silence.

Claire looked up, admiration in her eyes, "It is?"

Clarisse shrugs, then nods, "Yeah it's okay," slightly smiling back at the girl while putting on her helmet.

Claire watches Clairsse move swiftly through the tall grass for only being fifteen, she was an amazing swordsman, and she looked really nice in the amour, Claire went doe-eyed, she did not just have that thought. But I mean you can say that about you're friends, right? Of course, you can, she thought she would compliment her old friends all the time.

Suddenly Claire had a thought.

"Clarisse?" Claire asks, her cheeks tinted with the lightest shade of pink.

All she got was a hum in response.

"Do you think..that you could maybe teach me-- how to fight, I mean you seem to be really good at it and I need to learn to defend myself," Claire said rambling on until she saw Clarisse staring at her with a hard gaze, stop talking, said the look on her face. Claire nodded letting the girl speak.

"I'll teach you, but just the basics..it'll take you a while before you can do everything I do,"

Claire squinted her eyes, it can't be that hard, but her expression quickly changed when she saw the annoyed look Clarisse was giving her.

"Okay,....great when do we start,"Claire said has she watched Clarisse gather her things and begin to walk with her, the only noise being their feet dragging through the tall grass.

"Tomorrow, meet me here right after lunch, like you did today."Clarisse looked down at the girl to see if she agreed, a few of her loose curls falling down alongside her cheekbone.

Claire nodded, noticing a few pieces of grass tangled in between Clarisse's curls. Quickly moving her hand up to get them out.

Clarisse flinched before Claire could reach her hair, grabbing her wrist.

"What are you doing?" she said her gaze thorough Claire.

"Oh you just have — here just let me get it," she let go of her wrist, Claire reached up untangling the little pieces of grass, tucking her loose hair behind her ear.

Clarisse's eyes got a little wider, looking away from Claire, she slightly cringed at herself, what is happened to her.

Claire's eyes widened, she must have made her uncomfortable, scrambling for an apology.

"Oh I'm sorry, did I make you uncomfortable?" she said, worried Clarisse would be angry with her.

Clarisse looked at her, "You're— I'm just not used to, that" she used her hands to try to explain what she meant.

She's not used to touch, Claire thought, she nodded, giving the girl a reassuring smile.

The two walked back to camp in silence, it wasn't awkward, just calm, both of them lost in thought.

Once they returned back to camp, Clarisse walked Claire back to the Hermes Cabin, receiving odd glances from her siblings and other campers alike.

"Thank you for agreeing to teach me, it's very sweet of you," Claire said, the last part in a teasing manner, finally arriving at her cabin.

Clarisse looked at her,"You tell anyone about this, I swear," she said her face stern, quickly changing into a smile.

Claire smiled back, "Well I'll see you tomorrow,".

Clarisse nodded, glancing behind Claire seeing the Hermes kids giving the two girls odd looks, having this being so out of character for Clarisse.

But just a glance from her had them quickly turning their heads, going upon their normal routines.

She returned her gaze back to Claire, expression softening.

"Yeah I'll see you tomorrow," she said, walking away with her normal expression, but if you looked ever so close you would be able to see the corner of her mouth, slightly upturned.

_______________________________

This is so short but I want to save a lot for the next chapter.

Also new episode tomorrow! And I have a real cover for this now.

And if you can't tell this chapter is heavily inspired by "It's Nice to Have a Friend", that song is so underrated on lover,
it's seriously so adorable.

Anyways, as always hope u liked this and any interaction with this fic is highly appreciated and encouraged!

And sorry for any typos I am publishing this chapter off my phone sooo