17. Confronted

CAS POV

"What is it." I frowned down in frustration at the file in front of me.

I opened the first page to see pictures of me, allises, years of mission locations and names of all unexplained deaths in each area around the time I visited. There was my old school and were I use to live before I joined this life as well as names of all my biological brothers. Their true names.

"He had it, Dean. He's too close to this Cas you should have taken care of this issue already." Disappointment heavy in his tone.

"No Dean is not a liability." I stated sternly hoping my voice conveyed only certainty even if I didn't believe it. I glared at Michael, I know all too well what he is capable of.

Michael camly met my stare. "If you hadn't fucked him, would you still have the same opinion?" If looks could kill Michaels face would have melted from his skull into a poodle on his over priced shoes from the look I gave him.

"Yes." I stated giving him no satisfaction of a reaction beyound the warning stare and maintaining eye contact. "Dean wants to get rid of the Demon gang, that's all. This file is nothing, it shows who I was not who I am." I reasoned.

"The police are to close to the general public. Dean tells his Captain, the Captain alerts the media of our existence then the public want official reports. Curiosity gets the better of them, the phase 'have a right to know' is used and documents like this end up on Facebook or WikiLeak." He moved closer giving his voice more power, forcing me to move back.

"That's a little overdramatic, don't you think? This method of getting information can't be legal. Who ever it is would face serious jail time, if they are lucky, for illegal hacking of government secrets. Dean would have used someone from the team, they won't risk they're career and lives on this. No way would this get reported. Plus they can't report an organisation they don't even know the name of." I justified.

Michaels face changes instantly as I finished my sentence.

"I run this operation Castiel. You can't keep screwing up and expecting me to fix it. You need to clean up your own God dam mess for once." He shouts rage filling his voice conveying his deep frustration I didn't know he felt.

"We fix thing leave no trace of our existence. You've left a trail and I can't allow anyone to find out were it leads. Get Winchester off of our trail or I will."

I stood there in shocks. Articulate, calm Michael my brother and boss had snapped that was the moment when I realised if I don't fix this saving Deans life may lead to one of my brothers killing him instead.

"I will." I whispered obediently.

"And complete your mission. You're an angel Castiel, a soldier, its about time you act like one." His calm domineer slowly returned as I nodded.

With that Michael left. He left me there to clean up this mess.

******************************************************

Sam POV

Deans has been acting really strange recently so I've decided to confront him. He's sleeping less (you can tell by the bag under his eyes), he's been avoiding me and when we do talk he changes the subject if I mention Gabe or Cas or even the Demons.

"Dean coffee break." I shouted across his desk.

"Urhh you know Sammy I'm just swamped right now. Rain check?" He said opening a random file I know he was not working on before he saw me.

"No you're not and I wasn't really asking." I threw him his coat which he grumply caught and we head out to our usual spot.

(At the coffee shop.)

"What the hell is going on with you lately?" I look at him so he knows I'm serious and I'm not going to let this go.

"I don't know what you're talking about?" He tried to shrug innocently however it made him look more guilty.

"Don't give me that bullsqirt Dean. You're my brother I know when you're keeping things from me." I said honestly keeping the same tone.

"First, bulsqirt? Really? Second, maybe I'm just stressed. Have you thought of that?" He said eyebrows raised as he takes a sip of his coffee.

"It's more than that and it's to do with Gabe and Cas. Now tell me." I glared.

We entered into this big brother little brother stare off. Dean having an internal battle within himself between my right to know and his big brother protection instincts. The trick is to hold eye contact and show no fear. This causes Deans guilt levels to build up and he becomes more confident that I can handle it. Often leading to Dean spilling his guts.

"Fine Charlie found did some background check on Gabe and Cas. She looked them up on some FBI sites and found some pretty dark stuff. Like dead people were ever they go stuff." He stared down at the table and combed his hair back with his hands.

"You didn't think to tell me this. I've been hanging out with these guys, don't you think I deserve to know that my life was in danger." I was furious, all this time I was in danger and my brother knew. He knew how much I wanted to know about who Cas and Gabe really are. Even thought I'd rather they told me themselves.

"If you act differently then they'll know somethings up. I don't want to see you get kidnapped or something. I can't cope with getting tiny pieces of you mailed back to me." Dean protested defensively.

"I want to see the file. Now. " I stated not backing down.

"Fine it's at my apartment, let's go." We downed the coffee and left heading straight for Deans.

"Swear it was here Sam. I don't understand how could anyone have known I had the file." Dean continued looking thought draws and paperwork, pulling out file after file just in case.

"Maybe you're just not looking in the right place." I trird, moving to the opposite end if the room. There were random stacks of paper everywhere.

Then we heard the door swing open behind us. "Looking for this file?"

We turned around slowly coming face to face with two very angry looking Novak's.

"How?" Dean question looking panicked and confused while glaring at the file.

"Why did your hacker friend not add that into another secret file." I didn't know how to feel. I didn't know how I should feel. Should I feel scared? Was what the brothers have done what is in the file so bad? But the look of anger and betray of Cas' face did make me want to hide.

"It's not a secret file now you're holding it." Dean wispered loud enough to earn daggers from Gabe and Cas.

"I saved your life, Dean. I traded myself into Crowley and made some very powerful peopled very pissed at me. And what do you do? Research me. Do you know what you've done? I didn't brake in here and get this. Someone else did they know about you Dean I didn't save your life so you could just get yourself killed because of your trust issues." Cas screamed at Dean. The normally calm and placid Castiel was beyond outraged.

"Trust issues? Have you read that thing? I think I'm justified in having some trust issues with you." Dean screamed back matching Cas' tone.

"I have put my life on the line for you again and again since the day we met. Why isn't that enough?" Cas stepped closer, closing the gap between him and Dean.

"I'm annoyed to Sam I'm just not quiet at that level yet." Gabriel chimed in at the awkward silence with Dean and Cas just angrily staring at each other. So I decided just to talk to Gabe. Calmly.

"You should have told me. I shouldn't have to find out this way." I said trying not to feel too vulnerable in this situation.

"My past is nothing to do with you." That hurt, those words I didn't expect. I guess I thought that Gabe would be a part of my further therefore I'd know his past. Maybe I was wrong.

"Everyone around you dies. Why did you think we'd be any different." I said angrily looking at Gabriel noticing him flinch.

"Because we're not the targets." Dean stated head tilted to one side.

"Right Cas?"