1. Ancient dreams in a modern land

so i asked some time ago whether you thought that wriothesley deserves a one shot or a book.

well guess what

"Is that everything you've got?"

It was two in the morning and Lumine, who just crawled off a stuffy train where she had spent the past eight hours, would have never expected that after everything she's been through her friend would be so indifferent to her suffering and only care for material possessions.

Said friend, Navia, was standing in front of Lumine and staring at her one single bag, looking like a fed up mother, arms crossed, lips pursed, her sparkly dress reflecting artificial yellowish lights, and she was awaiting an answer.

Lumine sighed and passed her friend, then walked towards the exit of the train station.

"Hey!" Navia trotted after her. "Is that seriously all you got or no?"

The growl of speeding cars, hum of people's voices and steps hit them as soon as they walked outside. The city centre was as bright as ever and it wasn't going to sleep any time soon.

"I sent out most of my things earlier" Lumine explained as she was stepping down the steep stairs, seemingly unbothered by the weight of her luggage. "They're in my flat."

"You have a flat?" Navia repeated gobsmacked.

"Yeah. The agency is providing me with a place to live and a car."

Lumine shivered in the wind. She forgot how cold the nights were in this country. She made a note to herself that she'd have to buy some warm clothes as soon as possible.

"The agency?" Navia was still piecing together the story. "So you didn't get fired?"

"No." Lumine frowned, befuddled by her friend's confusion. Walking through the parking lot she spotted Navia's car and quickened her steps. "They wanted me to support the launch of the magazine alongside some big-timer, so I got temporarily relocated. Didn't I tell you?"

She heard a short laugh and the sound of heels tapping against the concrete pavement.

"Like you ever tell me anything."

Lumine sighed.

"I thought I did."

Navia opened the car, a silver Mercedes and Lumine got her baggage to the boot and closed it.

"You sure you're good to drive?" she glanced at Navia's unusually flushed cheeks and cleavage.

Her friend noticed the staring and smacked her lips displeased.

"I've only had champagne, it doesn't really count" she pouted. Navia crossed her arms and gave Lumine a sharp look. "Besides you're far more beat than I am."

It was true of course but Lumine wouldn't admit it. She forgot how it was to live in this country and now wasn't used to the conditions and customs, and she was paying the price.

In the city she'd been living in for the past few months, it'd be unfathomable that a train could be delayed two hours due to an 'unforeseen' police intervention and passengers wouldn't be offered an alternative way of reaching the destination nor would they be compensated.

And now she was beyond tiered.

"Thanks." Lumine smiled slightly at Navia as she closed the car door.

They got on the road without issues, only bumping against a few curbs. Neither of them tried to pick up the conversation and Lumine and her headache were especially grateful for that.