Spectres

Isen had his ability active and was scanning the entire cafeteria for the specific person for which he was searching: Terrence.

After a few minutes, he finally found him. His eyes dimmed as he went up to the unsuspecting younger male and sat down across from him.

"You're Terrence right?" he asked nonchalantly as he propped up his arm on the table.

"Uh yeah," Terrence replied, gulping down the bits of food in his mouth and setting down his fork. "Why are you talking to me? I'm just a lowly mid-tier."

"That's why I'm here," Isen bluffed. He obviously could reveal his intentions to him or else he'd get suspicious and run away. He needed a good cover story. "I'm writing a piece for the paper on the life of an average person in Wellston. The unremarkable, the mid-tiers, you know?"

"Yeah, I can see what you mean," Terrence said. "Of all the mid-tiers, though, why me?"

"'Cause I've seen you around in the Press meetings," Isen said. "You seemed like the exact kinda guy I'm looking for!"

"Well alright then," Terrence replied, seemingly not suspecting anything—which was good for Isen. "Ask away."

"Not here," Isen said. "I'll need to ask these questions in private, if you wouldn't mind. Source confidentiality, you know how it is."

"Oh I see," Terrence said. He eyed Isen, suspicion growing in his mind. "Where should we go?"

"There's an empty room down in 224," Isen said. "We could go there."

"Alright then. Lead the way."

. . .

Isen and Terrence went into the room and sat down at a desk. "So, first of all, I'm assuming you'd prefer to be anonymous, correct?" Isen asked Terrence as he settled down in his seat.

Terrence eyed him suspiciously. It was obvious he wanted some information about why he was there.

But Terrence was good. The last thing he'd do is let someone like him learn about Spectre.

"Preferably yes," Terrence said. "I'm already on the lower end of the mid-tier spectrum, this would put an even bigger target on my back."

"That's a good segue into my first question: what is life like for you as a mid-tier?" Isen tapped his pen and it to his paper to begin writing notes.

"Well, overall it's pretty sucky," Terrence admitted. "Like I said, I have a pretty big target on my back. When someone stronger than me shows up, which isn't hard considering my fairly low level, I usually just take the beating in hopes they won't come back later."

"I'd say that's a pretty smart thing to do," Isen said, jotting down a couple notes in his notebook. "Next question, a bit more personal, where are you from and why did you come to Wellston?"

"Well I'm from Kirkon," Terrence said, remembering the falsified documents Spectre's stealth team had made for him. "I came here looking to turn over a new leaf. I wanted to get a feel for what the strongest school in the country is like."

"Makes sense, that's pretty much why we're all here. Next question: what is your ability and level? This may be useful for the story."

This prick. He was trying to pry information out of him. Terrence had to do his best to conceal his identity. "Well, I'm not really comfortable with telling you."

"Come on, abilities are a natural part of life! You can tell me. I won't tell anyone else."

"Well..." Terrence had to think. If he kept avoiding the question, Isen would begin to suspect something. On the other hand, he clearly already did. "My ability allows me to turn invisible. It's not super strong since my level is somewhere around 2.4."