Chapter 3

It was just another day for Mikey.

Ever since Mikey had run away and disguised himself as a human, he had taken it upon himself to explore everything New York had to offer. Mikey never spent the night in the same place twice.

His curiosity had no bounds.

Today, Mikey had chosen to try his luck for food and stay the night on the west side of New York City. This, of course, contained Manhattan, the richest area of the city.

Mikey had never been to that side, and it showed as he gawked at the nicely dressed people, elegant buildings, and lavish apartments. Having lived on the streets for the past three months now, his clothes had become dirty and slightly torn. It was obvious he didn't belong on this side of the city, and the rich people stuck up their noses at him. Mikey didn't even seem to notice.

Mikey happily skipped up to a man in a suit. Hey there, sir! Mikey cheered. The man cringed. Can I help you? He asked. Can you spare some food? Mikey asked hopefully. The man turned and walked away. Bye, sir! Mikey shouted, waving.

Mikey approached many people, and they all ignored him. One person even insulted him.

The sun was slowly setting, and Mikey was afraid he was going to go to bed hungry. Mikey's happy-go-lucky exterior was wearing down, and Mikey decided to ask one more person before he retired somewhere for the night.

Ma'am? Mikey asked hesitantly. The lady he had spoken to turned towards him. She was wearing a formal dress suit and had her hair in a bun. She looked to be around thirty.

She looked at Mikey, confused for a moment. Are you okay, honey? The lady asked, concerned. Do you have something I can eat? Mikey asked, a slight waver to his voice. The lady frowned. Not on me at the moment. I'm sorry. She said. Mikey's hope immediately left. It's okay. Mikey said, trying to keep the disappointment out of his voice. He turned to leave, but the lady stopped him.

I may not have something on me, but that doesn't mean I won't feed you. The lady said. Really? Mikey asked hopefully. The lady nodded. I'll take you back to my place and cook you up something. How does that sound? The lady asked with a smile. Amazing. Thank you, ma'am. Mikey said. The lady smiled. Call me Julie. She said. Thank you, Miss Julie. Mikey said. No problem, honey. Julie said. Follow me. She added.

Mikey happily skipped behind Julie as she walked to her home.

So what's your name, sweetheart? Julie asked as the teenage
boy, she offered to feed, bounced beside her. Mikey hesitated but then smiled. I'm Mikey! He said with a smile in Julie's direction.

Do you live around here, Mikey? Julie asked. Mikey frowned. No. He said. Julie saw the way her question seemed to upset him, so she left it alone for now.

Julie stopped in front of a large, fancy apartment building. Mikey gawked. This is where you live?! He asked excitedly. Julie smiled. Yes. I actually own this entire building. I rent it out, of course, but my apartment is the penthouse on the top floor. Julie said proudly. Mikey nodded slightly. That's so cool. Mikey said. Julie smiled, enjoying his childlike wonder.

Come on then. She said encouragingly and walked into the building. Mikey followed closely behind her.

They entered a lobby area and were greeted by a doorman. The doorman looked shocked to see Julie with a teenager but quickly composed himself. Ms. Adverline, how was work? The doorman asked politely. Julie smiled. It was good. I made several stock returns and had a couple of meetings. Nothing too important. She said, waving off the events of her day like it was a normal occurrence.

Julie noticed that Mikey stood off to the side, looking around curiously while fidgeting with his hands.

Mikey, come meet my doorman. Julie said, waving him over to her. Mikey hesitantly walked forward and smiled at the doorman. Hi, I'm Mikey. Mikey said.

The doorman noticed that Mikey's clothes were tattered and realized that he was homeless. The doorman had compassion for the young teen. It's nice to meet you, Mikey. Ms. Adverline is super nice, isn't she? The doorman asked. Mikey nodded enthusiastically. Yeah! She said she's gonna cook me something! Mikey added happily. Oh well, you two better hurry upstairs then because I've had Ms. Adverline's cooking, and it's super good. The doorman said with a smile.

Mikey turned to Julie. Can we go to your place now? He asked with puppy dog eyes. Julie laughed. You can put the eyes away, Mikey. Yes, we can go now. She said, happiness evident in her voice. Mikey cheered, and Julie had to call out after him as he ran towards the elevator.

Once Julie and Mikey were both safely in the elevator, Julie swiped her key card, and the elevator immediately started heading for the top floor. Mikey couldn't help but press his face against the glass and watch as they kept going further away from the ground. Julie watched him, smiling to herself.

When the elevator let them out into the living room of her apartment, Mikey's jaw dropped in awe. Everything was so fancy, but at the same time, cozy. Julie laughed and gently placed a hand on Mikey's shoulder. Do you like it? She asked. Mikey nodded at a loss for words.

I know I said I would give you food, and I will, but I'd like it if you would take a shower first. Would you be okay with that? Julie asked, not wanting to cross any boundaries.

It had been so long since Mikey had a shower. He missed feeling clean.

You would let me shower in your home? Mikey asked, surprised. Of course. You need a shower, don't you? Julie asked, already knowing the answer. Mikey nodded. Okay. Follow me. Julie said with a smile.

Mikey followed after Julie as she walked past many rooms and open spaces. Julie opened up a room and gestured for Mikey to enter. Mikey found out it was a bedroom. A fancy and comfortably furnished bedroom.

This is one of my three guest bedrooms. It's the largest, so it's the only one I keep stocked with bathroom products, bed sheets, and clothes. Julie explained as she walked over to a dresser and shuffled through it, occasionally holding up a shirt or pair of pants to see if it would fit Mikey. Julie closed the dresser satisfied and placed a pair of clothes into Mikey's arms. Julie then gestured to the attached bathroom.

That's the bathroom. Towels are in the far cabinet, and soap should already be in the shower. Julie said. If you want to take a bath, there's some bubble bath resting on the bathtub. She added, pointing at the separate tub. You can do both if you want. She said with a smile. When you're done, come find me. I'm going to get started on our dinner. Shout for me if you need me. Julie said before disappearing, leaving Mikey alone.

Mikey smiled to himself. It felt nice that Julie trusted him enough to leave him unattended, invite him into her home, and cook him dinner. The doorman was right. Julie was super nice.

Mikey smiled and walked into the bathroom, closing the door behind him.

At the same time, Julie started cooking dinner, unaware that her current house guest is really a mutant turtle.