That Final Night

Ten years after the Battle of Hogwarts. Theodore Nott is out of Azkaban. And after years and years of being apart, he's finally ready for the reunion he's been waiting on.

"Guess who's in town."

Theo hums thoughtfully while he sets the heavy box in his arms down on the counter, ripping the tape off.

"Oprah."

Mattheo rolls his eyes.

"Try again."

"The Queen."

"The dead one?"

"Right. Forgot about that."

Mattheo laughs, shaking his head as he grabs a rag and a spray bottle to wipe off the bar top.

"Got any other foolish guesses?" He asks. Theo pauses, feigning thought before shaking his head and resuming his work.

"Fresh out, I'm afraid."

Theo grabs a pair of bottles from the open box then turns towards the shelves behind him. His back aches from the amount of moving he's had to do. Running heavy boxes from his truck to the stockroom. Bending down while doing inventory. At the ripe age of 27, his back just isn't what it used to be, and is in far worse shape than most men his senior.

Mattheo glances down at the bar briefly, the humor slowly fading from his expression, before he looks back up at his best friend.

"My sister."

The bottle shatters as it hits the floor.

Theo jumps, not realizing one of the bottles had slipped from his hand until it was too late. Mattheo stares as Theo begins to clean up his mess, although if he notices that it happening right when his sister was mentioned is more than a coincidence, he doesn't comment on it.

"Erm... What's she doing in town?" Theo asks casually as he kneels down with the broom and dustpan.

"Her and that rat, McLaggen, are finally getting divorced. She's staying with me for a while."

The room starts to swelter. Theo nods, trying to play off his sigh as one of sympathy rather than relief. Standing with the dustpan full of glass, he dumps the remains of the bottle into one of the other empty boxes he made while stocking before putting the cleaning supplies away. His hands slide into his pockets to wipe the sweat from his palms.

"How... how's she handling it?"

This makes Mattheo pause. He glances up at his oldest friend, his look a mix of thoughtful and confused.

"She's weirdly... calm about it," He explains in a slow voice. "I think their marriage ended a long time ago, and she's had time to mourn it before actually sticking the knife in it."

The thought of you being miserable for that long before taking the plunge to leave sends Theo's heart into a sadness he can't explain. He looks away from Mattheo, trying to rationalize his thoughts before speaking again. Fortunately for him, Mattheo pipes up again before he has the chance.

"She'll be at Malfoy's party on Saturday. She can meet a new bloke there."

A smile tugs at the corners of Theo's mouth, but not over his friend's cheeky remark.

"You'd rather her hook up with someone who aligns with Draco Malfoy?" Theo dares to ask as he looks back at the curly haired man next to him.

A beat passes.

"You're right. She's actually banned from the premises."

A hearty laugh escapes Theo's mouth as he turns  away from Mattheo, although he could hear the seriousness in his friend's tone behind the joke.