Chapter Seven

They were married three weeks later, in the local church. Katrina in one of her better gowns she had, which Patrick had collected from Linden hall.

Not having a suit or proper attire, Patrick wore his old army uniform, But Katrina thought he looked quite dashing in it.

Dr McCracken attended along with Myra they were the only invited guests.

But a few of the locals turned up at the back of the church, just for nosiness sake, to watch the one time young mistress of Linden hall, who, at one time should have at been marrying a Lords son.

Now instead was marrying a horse dealing Farmer.. 'How the mighty had fallen,' many of the local gossips had quoted smugly.

Katrina felt more than a little nervous on the day. Even though the marriage would be in name only, and relations between her and Patrick would be no more than companionship, without the intimacy.

She knew she could not survive in the world on her own.

Patrick had offered her his name. And with that name, he would protect and care for her. Offering her some form of security, which she had lost after her father's death.

What he was getting from his end of the marriage, was very little she realised a little troubled, as they stood before the priest taking their vows.

When she claimed to love and honour and obey him, it had a very hollow ring to it.

It made her hesitate to continue as she looked at him, suddenly uncertain if she could go through with it. After all, their marriage wasn't based on love exactly, they barely knew each other.

But when he bestowed his gentle encouraging smile, then she felt the warmth of his hand in hers, she realised maybe it would not be so hard to grow to love him, and make the vows and the marriage real one day.

Even though she realised she would probably be living in the shadow of his first wife who had died the year before.

She suspected he still missed her very much. Katrina had learned a little bit more about Patrick’s wife from Myra the week before, when she casually asked about her.

Myra had looked a tad uncomfortable and shamed faced, then she admitted she had not known her very well.

When Patrick returned back to Ireland, after he finished in the army, he had brought along his Spanish wife Juanita, and their young son Pat. It seemed the locals didn't take too well to foreign strangers in there midst, and being a superstitious lot, they viewed her with the suspicion of an outsider, who did not belong, So she was never really accepted

Katrina was surprised to learn that Patrick also had a son, but then saddened to learn that a bout of typhoid had first ended his little life, before claiming that of his mother.

Many viewed it as an omen, that Patrick should not have returned to Ireland with them in the first place.

Katrina, felt like almost weeping when Myra unfolded the terrible tragedy Patrick had suffered.

She became determined she would do all she could to make him happy, so he would not end up regretting marrying her.

And with that thought in her mind and heart, she managed to get through the ceremony to the end, finally becoming Mrs Patrick O‘Malley, then receiving congratulating hugs from Myra and Dr McCracken.

They went back to Dr McCracken's house for a celebratory meal.

Katrina enjoying the food, it had been quite a while from she had eaten so well, and listening to Myra expound amusing tales of the early days of her marriage to her late husband Tom O'Connell, who had been very fond of the drink and warning Katrina to make sure Patrick stayed out of the local pubs.

Katrina assured her she would, and Patrick shook his head with mock dismay, "Ah sure now, you wouldn't deprive a man of his Guinness now and again. would you?"

"As long as he is moderate with it" Katrina replied primly, smothering a smile that threaten to break out, knowing he was teasing her

Patrick turned to look at the doctor across the table, "Look, we are only married, and already she is laying down the law, What's a man to do?"

"Well you've made your bed, you have to lie in it" The doctor chuckled

"Yes I guess I will," Patrick replied giving Katrina a wink.

*****************************************

She recalled the this remark later that evening as she got undressed in the bedroom.

She was realising this was her first night as a married woman and she would be spending it separate from her husband. She felt a little twinge of guilt that Patrick was still lying in a makeshift bed in the next room.

She wondered what was going through his mind right now.

They had returned from the doctor's house a few hours ago, discussing the events of the day, But as they sat by the fire, the heat had made Katrina sleepy and she had kept yawning. She had not slept very well this past week with nerves and excitement of the wedding coming up.

Patrick had ordered her to go to bed, and she reluctantly gave in, feeling that after such an eventful day it couldn't just end with her dropping of to sleep in front of him.

And even though she felt a certain contentment knowing her future was more secure and she was safe with Patrick, she felt there was something missing, that there should be more… but she wasn't sure what it was exactly she wanted

Despite her earlier tiredness, she suddenly felt wide awake again as she got ready to climb into bed. It was then she heard a noise, which sounded like the front door in the next room creaking open.

Twilight had descended, it was still vaguely light outside, and as she looked through the bedroom window she caught sight of Patrick.

He had changed out of his army uniform, back into shirt and trousers. At first she thought he might be going to check on the horses, only she noticed he went in the opposite direction.

'Where on earth was he going at this time of the night?' she pondered silently to herself.

She wasn't sure why, but suddenly her curiosity got the better of her. She needed to know where he was going. She spent a moment considering if it was a good idea if she should go after him or not.

Then getting up, she hastily grabbed her cloak, wrapping it around her and slipping into her shoes, she left the bedroom.

Once outside, Katrina hurried in the direction she had seen hi go, and soon caught sight of him. Hesitant that he might be angry at her for following him, she lagged behind, but managed to keep him just in sight.

He came to a halt in the clearing of the trees and bushes.

Getting a little nearer, but making sure he was still not aware of her presence, Katrina found him standing before a roughly made wooden cross in the ground. Realisation hit her.  This was probably where his wife and son where buried.

She felt a twinge of regret she had followed him. Watching this little scene did nothing to comfort the disquiet she had been feeling about becoming his wife in name only.

She guessed it shouldn't really be surprising that on the night of his wedding, his mind was thinking of his former marriage and his first wife. The difference being, that he had been in love with Juanita, and even now wanted to be with her.

Katrina felt a strange heavy sadness in her heart. Suddenly feeling like an intruder who had no right to be witnessing this little scene.

She discreetly backed away, deciding to slip back to the house, before Patrick realised she had followed him…