Chapter 28: Firelight

"Uesugi-kun... that's an abomination."

I looked up in annoyance from the hamburger I had been about to bite. "Don't call my dinner an abomination, Itsuki."

With the clatter of plates and the chatter of students surrounding us, Itsuki looked distastefully at the creation in my hands. Dinner had been a hamburger bar, with the option to add as many toppings as we liked. Given I'd scarcely had any opportunities in my life to eat hamburgers, let alone experiment with them, I'd decided to have a bit of everything.

This was, however, apparently a faux pas.

"Does it... even taste good?" Yotsuba asked, a less judgemental but equally incredulous look on her face.

"I'd offer you a bite, but... I, uh, don't really know what the best way to share a hamburger is."

Yotsuba laughed, but then suddenly frowned.

"Uesugi-san... what's the reddish-white stuff on there? It's leaking on your fingers."

"Not sure," I shrugged, licking the length of my fingers. "Tastes great though."

For some reason, Yotsuba's face reddened slightly.

"It's probably some sort of spicy mayo," Itsuki sighed. "Honestly, Uesugi-kun, what didn't you put on there?"

"Tomatoes."

"Wait, what? Why wouldn't-- Uesugi-kun, that's a classic hamburger staple!"

I shrugged. "Wasn't feeling it."

Itsuki sighed again and lowered her head into her hands.

"You know," Miku said, leaning over from her seat next to Yotsuba, "you have a lot of stuff on yours too, Itsuki..."

"Hey!" she protested, lifting her head and clutching her burger protectively. "Don't compare the two of us! I actually thought about what I was putting on here! It's a carefully considered fusion of palettes and flavours, brought together to create the ultimate burger experience. I worked really hard on this!"

"Huh..." Miku said doubtfully.

"That sounds like a lot of work," I commented, taking another bite out of mine. "Good job."

"Why do I feel like you're mocking me?" Itsuki complained.

"Because I am," I said, wiping my mouth with a napkin. On the other side of Itsuki, Ichika suddenly started coughing, and turned away. Itsuki glared at me.

"You little--"

"Nakano? Nakano?! Ah, there you are-- wait, which one are you?"

We all looked up at the teacher who had stopped after approaching our table, confusion on her face.

"Which Nakano are you after, Sensei?" Itsuki asked, turning her glare away from me with some difficulty.

"Um... Nakano Yotsuba," she said uncertainly.

Yotsuba shot to her feet, and saluted.

"Nakano Yotsuba, reporting for duty!" she announced, a few crumbs still scattered around her lips. I wrenched my eyes away before I could succumb to any distraction.

"We're starting to prep the bonfire. Everyone on bonfire duty is being asked to meet at the plaza in fifteen minutes."

"Roger!" Yotsuba said. Sitting back down, she quickly finished her hamburger while the teacher walked away.

"Do you want me to come?" I ventured. "You helped with my job, after all."

"I mean, you already helped last night, Uesugi-san, so..."