The Medical Student

Dan said he wouldn't get drunk. He promised he was only going out to shake off the weeks of stress he'd endured during the exam period. But there he was, tossed on his bed still wearing the clothes he'd gone clubbing in, his shoelaces still not completely untied and his hair more tangled than it had ever been. He opened one eye and realised the light was already affecting his hazy vision and fell back asleep until his phone buzzed. It sounded like someone drilling into his ear, so facing the blinding light, he checked what caused the noise. It was a text from Georgia.

"That was a wicked party last night! I hope you don't feel too bad this morning, message me when you're not hunched over the toilet bowl." Dan rolled his eyes and sent back a quick message letting Georgia know he was alright and had not yet vomited. He got out of bed and changed into his pyjamas, which he realised he must've attempted to do the night before as they were halfway across the room.

"This isn't how a medical student is supposed to behave." Dan thought to himself. He was studying to be a forensic scientist and was doing his Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with a specification in Forensic Science. Its not something he particularly enjoyed, but he got the grades and it meant he could get a well payed job in the future, so he figured he might as well aim high.

He strayed into his kitchen and opened the fridge, wincing at the smell of the blue cheese he'd bought a few days before. Knowing he wouldn't be able to stomach an ounce of food yet, he just grabbed the jug of water and poured himself a glass. Did water make Sambuca crystallise in the stomach? Or was that vodka? He couldn't remember.

"The only good thing about being a medical student," he thought "is that they expect you come from a wealthy family so they give you the most luxurious student dorms in the whole of London." He knew he was partly in it for the positive recognition he received from telling people he was studying Forensic Science at Oxford University, and obviously the amount of girls who literally dropped to their knees to get with Dan had become uncountable. And he enjoyed the attention. He loved the fact he could have any girl he wanted simply because he had the brains, but he never led them on too far as he didn't want to hurt them.

He decided to spend the day on the sofa watching the reruns of friends on TV, occasionally plucking up enough courage to eat a few crisps before having to vomit it all up again. He decided to call Georgia round as they were both in the same situation. They didn't have any more lectures for a couple of weeks as not everyone had finished their exams yet, so they didn't see staying up late as being a problem.

It was around 8pm when Georgia arrived at Dan's house and he greeted her with a slight hug (for he feared squeezing her too tight may cause whatever they had left in their stomachs to end up all over each other). They resumed their regular positions on the sofa and munched on a few pieces of popcorn at a time.

Dan and Georgia were not boyfriend and girlfriend, as Dan quite enjoyed the company of the other girls he saw regularly, but he felt that Georgia was special, in a way. He appreciated her company more than he did any other of the girls, and Georgia knew it. The other girls were often jealous that she got to spend more time with Dan than they did, some even going to the extent of making up rumours about how she was only fucking him for the attention it brought her. But they both knew it was all lies, because Dan and Georgia had never gone past holding hands, which they only did occasionally anyway. They never meant for the friendship to go any further than that, both qualming the responsibilities a relationship brought, but deep in Dan's heart he sometimes wished he wasn't scared of commitment, and wished he knew what having sex as an act of love felt like, instead of a quick fuck for pleasure. But Dan knew fantasising about such things with Georgia was dangerous, as it ran the risk of jeopardising their friendship. What if a relationship wasn't right for them? What if the break up was bad and they wouldn't be able to go back to being friends again? But most worryingly, what if Dan became so emotionally invested in Georgia he could never let her go?

please leave a comment as to what day you all want me to update this and i'll choose based on majority vote