Chapter 6: The Interviews

The fifth of the six days the tributes would spend in the Capitol before the Games brought nothing but anxiety, with an hour or two of interview coaching in between. 

It had felt like an eternity before it reached the sixth and final day, though, as it did, Haymitch wished it had taken longer. The tribute interviews, hosted by Caesar Flickerman and broadcasted out to the entirety of the Capitol, were held in the evening, and Haymitch found himself attacked by Mathilde again about an hour beforehand. 

Luckily, she must have pulled her head in since the opening ceremony, however, as she presented both Haymitch and Quince in respectful suited attire. Haymitch's hair had been combed previously to accommodate its natural wave, this time, though Quince out-looked him by a mile. His suit was perfect on his tall frame, and Mathilde gelled back his nearly-black hair away from his face as he plastered on a broad grin. 

But Haymitch didn't care much about his appearance – and, as he'd already decided, being 'charming' was a stupid way to win sponsors, anyway. The interviews of the first few tributes sickened him enough. 

Caesar Flickerman took to the stage first, dressed obscurely in twinkling midnight blue suit and dark green hair, lips, and eyelids. Haymitch watched in disbelief as each tribute crossed the stage for their interview, noting the plain nuisance most of them appeared to be. 

The very first, Lux Maverick, from District 1, even placed a hand on Caesar's shoulder at one point, saying, 'Caesar, what these games need is a little bit of love. And I have to admit that some of my opponents might be my cup of tea.' 

Haymitch almost gagged in his seat backstage. The following tribute, Sterling Munrow, was slightly more arrogant than his district partner, already frustrated with Caesar only two minutes in. 

'How am I supposed to talk if you keep asking me questions all the time?' Sterling had demanded frustratedly, much to the audience's dismay. But the fourth tribute interviewed, Glitz Lurox, of District 1, was the one Haymitch most looked forward to watching. 

Glitz pranced onto the stage in a shimmering, silver dress, which, as Haymitch hated to admit, actually looked phenomenal. Her bright blonde hair was perfectly curled over her left shoulder, and it was already obvious she'd won ninety percent of the Capitol's hearts before she'd even spoken a word. As it turned out, Glitz was the only volunteer in this year's games, which Caesar addressed almost immediately.

'So, Glitz, what made you volunteer this year?' Caesar enquired, holding his microphone to Glitz's grinning lips as he awaited her response.

'You know, I wasn't actually planning to volunteer. But when I heard about the new concept of sending more people into the Games, I didn't want to miss the opportunity of making history. So I said to myself: 'Challenge accepted!'' Glitz exclaimed energetically, earning herself a roar of applause from the Capitol audience. 

At the end of her interview, she bounded off stage with a smile, and Haymitch felt slightly threatened. Dangerous and likeable. There was no way he was match for someone who was both. 

As the time rolled around, and the final female tribute from District 11 exited the stage, Haymitch tensed in sudden anxiety. His name echoed off of Caesar Flickerman's lips, and his legs walked themselves on stage before his brain did. Haymitch took a seat in the chair opposing Caesar's, regaining himself.

Keep calm, he thought silently, the last person the Capitol would sponsor is a nervous little weakling.

'Ah, so Haymitch, how do you feel right now?' Caesar questioned.

'Bored. It takes so long to get us,' Haymitch quipped immediately, regretting his bitterness for a second, before chuckles began to ring through the Capitol audience, and he bit back a smile. Even Caesar laughed, glancing at the camera, before turning back to Haymitch with a smile.