~Chapter 12~

Warm sunshine filled the den. River sniffed. Spring was in the air! For the first time since she had been brought here, she felt a twinge of happiness. But that happiness was quickly washed away. The wolf who River recognized as Splinter stuck his head in.

"You two!" He barked. "Come with me."

River reluctantly followed Dawn out without any complaints. The wolf led them to a corner, thickly surrounded by thorns and brambles.

"Why are you bringing us here?" Dawn had more courage than River.

Splinter laughed. "It's long journey where you going. Nightshade thought it nice if you didn't escape before."

"Where- when- are we going?" Dawn hissed. "I'm not going anywhere."

"Oh yes you are." A white female snarled. "Two days, be exact."

"Snake- root!" Splinter growled. "You not supposed to tell them!"

"Oops." Snake- root barked.

River shifted her paws uncomfortably.

"Come on." Splinter led them in and turned to walk away.

"Wait!" River couldn't believe she was actually going to do this.

"Yes?" The gray wolf spun around.

River jumped on his back and bit down on his neck. She was weaker than him because they didn't give her much food. He shook her off easily and had her pinned.

"Think you could get out of here, did you?"

"Well, it was worth a try, wasn't it?" She choked out, struggling.

"If only. I know a few wolves would give anything be out of here." Splinter stepped off to let her get up.

"Then what stops them?" She felt sorry for some of them. Maybe they don't want to do this.

"Nightshade. He has them driven by fear."

"And what would he do if they tried to get away?"

Splinter flexed his claws. "Death. My sister tried. He kill her."

"That's awful!" River stepped back in shock.

"That is past. Now there's only few of us who follow Nightshade no matter what."

"And you're not one of them, are you?"

Splinter slashed her cheek. "See if that give you answer." He barked, walking away.

"River?" Dawn meowed. She'd been watching the whole time. "What did you do that for?"

"Why did I attack him?" River wiped the blood from her face. "I wanted to get some information. It worked."

. . .

Starlight blinked as warm sunshine lightened the clearing. Spring is here! "Hey everylynx!" She called into the trainee's den. "Come out here! It's so warm!"

"Coming!" Brook stood beside her. "It is warm!"

Robbin purred. "I hope the snow melts soon. I've had enough of this winter."

"I'm sure the field is warmer." Star purred back. "I think I'll go look for a few herbs. I'm sure there'll be a few."

. . .

"Aren't you happy for spring?" Ice called from up on a rock.

"Yeah... I guess." Hawk replied. "But I am worried about River and Dawn."

"Everylynx is worried about those two young ones."

"I hope Moonsight makes up his mind soon. I don't want to wait too much longer."

"He will decide."

"I know that, but will he choose correctly?" Hawk flicked his ears angrily.

"That's up to him." The senior rolled over to warm her stomach. "But those two lynxes are strong. They'll survive."

"I hope."

"Hawk." Storm padded over. "Come. Starlight wants to talk. She's in the field with Owl."

"Coming!" Hawk ran after the trainee. He tripped in the snow and almost faceplanted, but he survived, and kept running. He got a bit distracted by the beauty of the forest. The snow was melting quickly. It dripped down, and Hawk shook his fur.

"Hurry!" Storm called back.

"Sorry." He quickened his pace and tried to catch up to her. When she figured out that he was trying to race, she bolted ahead.

Hawk slowed from shock for a few heartbeats, but then caught on and raced after her.

"You're fast!" He gasped as they both stopped before they went into the field. It was a rule that they always had to check the field for anything dangerous before they entered.

"You came quick." Star observed as they sat down beside some boulders.

"Yeah," Storm nodded.

"What did you want to say?"

"We need to rescue River and Dawn now."

New cover coming soon, because I think Starlight looks too old in the current cover