Eleven

𓋇JON'S POV𓋇

I had expected myself to have trouble falling asleep with sopping hair and my heart pounding with leftover fear after nearly losing my life, but I ended up falling asleep rather easily. All the adrenaline had drained out of my system once me and Once had recovered the bed, giving my body the distinct feeling of being weighed down by my exhaustion. The feeling was akin to what I imagined it would feel like to have a polar bear sit upon your shoulders. As soon as I had changed into some dry pj's, I had crashed on the bed and gone right to sleep.

By the time I had woken up, sunlight was already pouring into the cottage at full, golden brightness. I felt soft fur brush against the side of my face, muffling my breaths. At first, I didn't think much of it. I assumed that it was Garfield I had ended up hugging like a teddy bear. It took me an embarrassing amount of time to remember that Garfield would never let me do that.

My brows furrowed themselves out of confusion, and I blinked awake, my eyes narrowed as feeble protection against the glaring light. As my eyes adjusted to the light, I recognized a familiar yellow mustache. The Lorax seemed to have woken up at the same time as me. We made eye contact for a split second before my reflexes finally kicked in and I scrambled to sit up with a startled yell.

The furry orange jellybean at my side became my mirror, except he scrambled back too far and ended up toppling over Once's legs. This startled my friend awake with a sharp gasp. I only looked at him briefly before my stare reattached itself to our unwelcome bed buddy.

"What are you doing here??" I demanded after a moment of frantically trying to gather my scrambled thoughts.

"Adding to that," Once began, "what are they doing here!?"

I looked at him, my eyes narrowing themselves out of confusion. I followed the direction his finger was pointing with my eyes. I had to physically keep my jaw from dropping when I saw the rest of the room. The Lorax was far from the only uninvited guest we had the joy of waking up to. There were bears draped across the counter, across the floor. The largest one had monopolized Garfield's bed, about which the orange feline seemed none too pleased. He was attempting to shove the bear away, his feet slipping upon the ground. The bear was as still as a mountain.

They had somehow managed to turn on the faucet, and the golden fish were swimming around in it like it was their own personal tank. The birds had found their way in as well, and were perched in the tight nook between the cabinets and the polyester roof. One had even sat itself on top of the fridge.

"Well," The Lorax began, looking somewhat sheepish, "after the 'incident' last night, we found one of your socks and we came here to return it. But when we got here, you were asleep."

He held up a sock that looked like it had been dug out of a landfill after a rainstorm. It was horribly discolored and caked in mud to the point of being almost unrecognizable. I watched Once's face scrunch up in a grimace as he gingerly took the sock between his index finger and his thumb. I couldn't help but mirror his disgust, staring at the disheveled sock.

"Ew," Once vocalized as he tossed the sock to some unknown corner of the cottage, "Exactly. Sleeping is the body's way of telling other people to go away!"

"I know," the Lorax replied, "but you just looked so cozy–and it was so cold outside– we just fell asleep. No harm done."

"No harm done? No harm done!?"