Paranormal Shit

"The night shift?"

"You're a manager now, it's best if you get used to all aspects of the work schedule in case I need you to step in when we're understaffed." William explained as the two of you stood beside each other out by the back of the restaurant.

It had been a week or so since your promotion and you had enjoyed a week of giving your coworkers the worst jobs and sitting on your ass in the break room. William had started joining you when you went out to go on a smoke break, you almost liked having his company but you'd never admit it.

You leaned against the outside wall with a frown, "Let me get this straight... you want me to come in tomorrow night for a night shift with no training? What if someone breaks in and stabs me or something?"

William chuckled slightly as he leaned on the wall beside you, the side of his body resting on yours, "You're being overdramatic. Besides, you won't be alone, I'll be going with you. As competent as I think you are," His words had an edge of sarcasm to them, which caused you to roll your eyes in response, "I'm not sure I trust you to run your first night shift alone."

"Didn't we have a whole talk about that trust bullshit?" You responded glancing off to the side slightly at the empty back parking area, the lifelessness of the restaurant was both calming and unnerving. Out here it felt like you and William were the only people in the world. Weird.

"I trust you not to be hysterical, not to run a night shift." William responded coolly before glancing down at you with a slight smirk, "Besides, I wouldn't want anything to happen to my favourite employee."

You scoffed and rolled your eyes again, yet deep down it felt nice to be appreciated by someone for once, "I could report you for favouritism."

"I own the restaurant, who are you gonna report it to?" William shot back as his body leaned slightly more against yours. You didn't move away, you weren't sure why.

You shrugged as you reached into your pocket and pulled out your lighter to light your cigarette. As you pulled it out, you noticed Williams eyes lock onto it with an amused expression.

"You kept the lighter?" He commented as his eyes darted between you and the lighter, "I thought you didn't appreciate getting my gifts."

You looked up at him quickly, "In my defence, you were freaking me out. You had basically tackled me beforehand." You protested, yet you didn't feel that same resentment as you had before. Was something wrong with you?

"You stole my lighter." William responded with a slight chuckle as his silver eyes met yours, "Yet, you kept my gift."

You shrugged as you attempted to conceal a small smile, "It's a nice lighter. I mean, I'm broke. What did you expect? For me to throw it away?"

"You could've sold it." He pointed out as you felt him lean closer to your face, "but you didn't."

You opened your mouth to respond but closed it again. He was right. Why didn't you sell it the first chance you got? You looked back down at the lighter in your hand. Did keeping it mean something? Every time you looked at it you got this feeling, something warm and-

"Anyway," you felt Williams' body straighten up again as his words broke your train of thought, "I'll meet you here tomorrow night. The shift starts at midnight and lasts until 6am."

You frowned, "That sounds like a literal nightmare."

"Oh, you haven't seen anything yet." William responded casually. What was that supposed to mean?, "I've got to get back to work. Don't waste time out here. Don't think I haven't noticed you taking forty minute smoke breaks."