THIRTY-SEVEN

JESSICA

The morning light crept into my room, casting a pale glow over the familiar scene of my bedside table, cluttered with books and papers, and my rumpled bedcovers. But nothing could dispel the darkness that had settled in my heart. My mind raced with thoughts of betrayal and hurt as I read the latest news on my phone.

My father's affair with my best friend, Sophie, was no secret anymore. It was all over the school's website, splashed across the screens of every device within reach. And it wasn't just the embarrassment and shame that cut deep; it was the knowledge that my flesh and blood had betrayed me, that he had chosen his desires over our family's well-being.

But that wasn't even the worst part. As if the stab to my heart wasn't enough, the article also revealed that my mother's struggles with insanity had become so severe that she could no longer keep up the pretense of normalcy.

I felt like I was drowning in a tidal wave of pain and anger, unable to escape the crushing weight of this double blow. How could life be so cruel? Why did this have to happen to us? To me?

As I sat there, frozen in disbelief, my mind reeled with questions and doubts. Would I ever be able to recover from this? Could I find a way to heal and move forward, or would I forever be stuck in this cycle of hurt and betrayal? The future seemed bleak and uncertain, but one thing was clear: nothing would ever be the same again.

I put down my phone and took a deep breath before standing up from my seat and walking straight to the bathroom. As I stood in front of the mirror, I saw a person who was tired, overwhelmed, and lost. The events from last night had taken their toll on me, and I could feel the weight of them pressing down on my shoulders. My eyes were red and puffy from crying, and my skin looked pale and drawn. I knew that I needed to take care of myself, both physically and emotionally, if I wanted to make it through this difficult time.

I reached out and gently stroked my cheeks, trying to calm myself down. Tears streamed down my face as I let go of all the pent-up emotions that had been building inside of me. I felt like I was drowning in a sea of grief, and I didn't know how to keep my head above water. But as I stood there, allowing myself to feel everything, something shifted within me.

Anger began to rise to the surface, mixing with the sadness and frustration that already filled me. I felt a surge of determination well up inside of me, and I knew that I would not let these challenges defeat me. I was strong enough to overcome them, and I would emerge from this trial even stronger than before.

I opened the bathroom mirror cabinet in front of my heart racing with anticipation. My hands trembled as I grasped the hair scissors and hair dye, the weight of my decision heavy on my shoulders, but the fear of the unknown held me back. What if I hated it? What if it didn't suit me? But something inside of me snapped. It was time to take control of my life and make a change.

With a deep breath, I closed the mirror cabinet door and took a firm grip on the scissors. The cool metal felt reassuringly solid in my hand, like a lifeline to a new beginning. I raised the scissors high an inch above my shoulders, ready to take the plunge. My mind raced with doubts and uncertainty, but my body moved forward with conviction. With one swift motion, I brought the scissors down, cutting through the tangles of my long blonde hair.

As the strands fell to the floor, I felt a sense of liberation wash over me. The weight of my hair, both physical and emotional, lifted from my shoulders. I stared at my reflection, watching as my once-long locks transformed into a sleek, shoulder-length bob.

Next, dipping the brush into the vibrant pink dye, I couldn't help but feel a sense of excitement wash over me. I carefully painted the dye onto the tips of my hair, watching as the pigment spread evenly across each strand. As I worked, I felt myself transported back to my childhood days, when playing dress-up and trying out different hairstyles was a daily occurrence. This feeling only intensified as I examined my reflection in the mirror, admiring how the pink gradients seemed to dance along the edges of my blonde hair.