chapter 7

"Lionstar, I'm afraid we're out of borage leaves, and Hazelflower is low on milk." Lionstar nodded."Darkpaw, I have a task for you."

Darkpaw looked up from his meal and padded off. "Applepaw want the rest of it?"

Applepaw, Frostpaw, and woodpaw all became apprentices, and they are all quite good. Applepaw caught a rabbit on his first hunt, but of course, Applepaw says that Darkpaw is jealous.

"Well, if you insist Darkpaw." Applepaw gobbled up Darkpaw's meal and finished his before going to Shrewleaf.

"Yes, Lionstar?" Darkpaw was curious about what his task was and wanted to make sure he did it correctly. "Darkpaw toadpool needs to go to ThunderClan to ask moonstrike for some herbs, and he needs a warrior escort."

Darkpaw thought a moment before Lionstar added. "If everything goes well, I'll consider you going to the gathering." Darkpaw lit up at the idea.

"Well, what are we waiting for? Come on toadpool." Toadpool purred at darkpaw's enthusiasm and followed him.

As they approached the ThunderClan border, a patrol passed by. "Hello toadpool, what are you looking for?" Toadpool nodded to the ThunderClan cats.

"Hello, Russetblaze. I'm here to ask moonstrike for some herbs and ask for a bit of advice." Russetblaze froze and nodded to the apprentice next to him, who Darkpaw knew was Tigerpaw.

"I'm afraid moonstrike died two sunsets ago." Tigerpaw delivered the news formally. " Well, I shall grieve for him. Can i ask mouseheart?"

Russetblaze nodded and flicked his tail to the ShadowClan cats to follow him. "So is ShadowClan desperate now?" The voice next to Darkpaw was Tigerpaw.

"No, ShadowClan can take care of themselves, but we do need a few herbs." The silver apprentice snickered. "Oh yeah, that mouse was quite delicious. I wish I had more." Darkpaw was reminded of how she got away with that mouse.

Darkpaw looked to see that the older cats were distracted and playfully cuffed Tigerpaw softly across the ears. Tigerpaw let out a hiss but kept walking.

"Never take ShadowClan prey again." Tigerpaw snorted and walked ahead towards a tunnel. Darkpaw followed her and saw the ThunderClan camp for the first time and saw toadpool with mouseheart.

"Toadpool, can we go, yet? my nose is being overwhelmed." Toadpool looked at darkpaw with a kind face."Sorry, darkpaw, I'm quite busy. Maybe go and get to know the ThunderClan apprentices."

Darkpaw looked around for other apprentices and saw a dark tabby talking with a pale tabby. Darkpaw padded towards them and saw the pale tabby stare at him with slant eyes.

"Hello, I'm darkpaw of ShadowClan, and I'm here with my medicine cat." The pale tabby hissed at darkpaw. "Of course you're ShadowClan. You have a terrible stench."

Darkpaw was confused and was sure he groomed himself well. The dark tabby spoke up. "Come on willowfrost he's just an apprentice."

Willowfrost stared at the dark tabby and hissed." Traitor," the pale tabby then walked off. The dark tabby stared at willowfrost. "Don't mind her she's a bit crabby."

Darkpaw was curious about the tabby apprentice. The ThunderClan apprentice curled his tail over his paws and mewed. "anyways my name is Deerpaw, and I want to be the leader one day."

Darkpaw admired the apprentice, but Deerpaw reminded him of someone else. "Well, Deerpaw, I also want to be the leader and make ShadowClan stronger."

Deerpaw was satisfied with Darkpaw's response. " Well, I better hunt if I want my warrior name." Darkpaw wanted to talk with Deerpaw a bit longer, but he knew toadpool was waiting. "Oh well, bye, Deerpaw."

The tabby flicked his tail in acknowledgmen. Darkpaw went to the medicine den to see toadpool saying goodbye to mouseheart. "Oh, Darkpaw, are you ready to go?"

Darkpaw nodded and padded over to the entrance of the camp. Only to see Tigerpaw waiting. "I'll be escorting you and toadpool to the border."

Darkpaw didn't like Tigerpaw, but she had ambition that Darkpaw wanted. "Well then, great ThunderClan warrior lead the way." Tigerpaw flicked Darkpaw with her tail and led the way.

Toadpool kept a close eye on Tigerpaw with herbs clamped in his jaws, but Tigerpaw didn't seem to notice. " This is as far as I can take you."

Darkpaw saw that they were already at the border. Darkpaw was upset, but he headed towards the ShadowClan camp, waiting for toadpool to catch up.

Toadpool nodded to tigerpaw and went back to ShadowClan territory. Darkpaw pushed pass tigerpaw and followed Toadpool.

Toadpool purred with amusement as they padded towards the camp. "That ThunderClan apprentice sure is bossy. But she seems to be growing to be quite the leader."

Darkpaw looked over and growled. "Her name is Tigerpaw, and she's really arrogant." Toadpool touched Darkpaw with his tail. "Well, she certainly reminds me of a young apprentice."

Darkpaw looked up and tilted his head. Toadpool rushed towards the camp entrance and headed towards the medicine den. Darkpaw went to the apprentice den to see every apprentice talking.

Woodpaw walked up to Darkpaw with her tail held up high. "Darkpaw Lionstar said after the gathering we'll attack riverclan for their raid and the killing of Cloudfur."

Darkpaw felt a stones fall into his stomach. This was his second real battle. He waited to see who was going to the gathering but left the den after Applepaw started to boast about catching a snake.

Darkpaw went to the nursery to see icekit and petalkit playing with Lemurkit and wolfkit. The two rouges have grown up to be quite eye-catching. Lemurkit had grey stripes, and wolfkit had tangled fur.

Darkpaw then left and went towards his mentor. Lionstar looked at him with slant eyes. "Darkpaw, I want you to tell Applepaw and woodpaw that they are allowed to attend the gathering with their mentors."

Darkpaw nodded and rushed to tell woodpaw and Applepaw. Both of them were asking firefoot questions. "Hey Applepaw and woodpaw, you guys get to attend the gathering."

Both apprentices looked up with joy. Firefoot nodded and padded off. Lionstar called the cats going to the gathering. " Shrewleaf  Yellowfoot, Vineflight, Applepaw, woodpaw and Darkpaw."

Darkpaw walked with excitement. He wondered what the other clans were like.