chapter four

CHARLES

THE REST OF THE dinner had gone by peacefully. Charles knew the boys would give him shit for everything he'd said. Somewhere deep inside, he knew he was wrong. He knew he'd acted like a disrespectful arse, but it was the only way he knew to be. Lauren equaled frustration. She was an incredible driver and he really could not use the competition. Ferrari wasn't doing great and starting P9 at his home race wasn't making his case any better.

'Charles,' an all too familiar voice called out, 'I'm glad to have caught you. Do you have a second?' Charles groaned at the sound of Max' voice along with the sight of his race suit.

'Max, if this is about last night-,' Max cut him off.

'Shut up and listen to me very carefully. Last night, you didn't just embarrass Lauren, you embarrassed all your friends and more importantly, yourself. Lauren is my teammate. She is an incredible driver and she's a good person. Don't you think she's getting enough shit already? Everyone telling her she doesn't deserve her spot here, calling her an industry plant who stole Checo's seat and disrespecting her for the fact that she doesn't have the standard for a Formula One driver dangling in her pants,' Charles swallowed. Max was right.

'I know all of that. Believe me, I do. I just hate the fact that she is in my life again. Lauren and I never worked. Not during karting, not during-,' he paused, 'just ever,'

'Neither did we, Charles, and look at us now,' said Max. Charles sighed. He knew Max had a point. He just wasn't able to let go of their history.

'You guys don't get how complex this thing between Lauren and I is. There have been some incidents that caused us to-,' Charles got cut off again. This time it was Fred Vasseur.

'Come on, boy. We need you in the garage,' Saved by the bell.

The Monaco Grand Prix was an absolute disaster for Charles. Max had won again, followed by Alonso and Evans. Charles had gotten a sad P6 while his teammate had to settle for an even poorer P8. To perform so badly during your home race was humiliating. Incredibly humiliating. Charles was seeing red. Disappointed Tifosi, again. Everything that could've possibly gone wrong, had gone wrong. Poor strategy combined with an unfortunate pitstop resulted in a very painful race. He was now forced to watch the podium celebration. Lauren in her full glory, enjoying her first podium. She was giggling loudly as both Max and Fernando sprayed her with champagne simultaneously. Charles watched how she bared her teeth. She was so radiant it made him want to die—stupid Lauren Evans.

Adding to Charles' frustration, someone was listening to Crofty's narration. 'Lauren Evans, what a force! A stunning debut. Incredible speed. The grid's new lady teaching the gentlemen how it's done,'

It skipped to the post-race questionnaire. Charles watched the video play over the crew member's shoulder.

'P3, Lauren. How do you feel?' she was asked by David Coulthard.

'Very satisfied, thank you, David,'

'Your battle with Fernando was quite the show. Could you explain to us what happened there?' Charles

'Well, I pitted after Fernando. We had some issues with the front left tyre, so I lost two crucial seconds there. I came out of the pits almost wheel to wheel with him. It was quite funny how we kept overtaking each other on this narrow circuit. Every time I reached the straight I was like 'Well, he's got the DRS now' and then the next lap I had it. We kept swapping places with each lap. In the end, he pushed harder and secured P2. I look forward to giving him a harder time in the future,' she said, her eyes gleaming with passion.

'Well, here he is! Fernando, please join us,' 

Fernando appeared on the screen as well, a massive smirk on his face. He pulls Lauren in for a hug, patting her back in a fatherly manner.

'Fernando, P2. What are your thoughts on the race?' 

'Always a pleasure, David. Well, I have to say, this was one of the funniest races of my life. I felt like I was being chased by a mosquito,' Lauren burst into a huge fit of laughter. Her cheeks turned visibly scarlet.

'You can laugh, but it's the truth. You think you get rid of her and within a second she's gapping you again. Gave me a run for my money today,'

Lauren was still squealing in the background. Charles caught himself in a trance. Lauren sure knew how to undo a man.

LAUREN

ENDING ON THE PODIUM after my first-ever race was a pleasant surprise. Max decided for Lauren that it called for an extra celebration. They were going to Jimmy'z Monte-Carlo, which was one of the best clubs in Monaco according to him. Lauren received a call after reaching her hotel floor. 

'Well, if it isn't the legendary Ruby Brown,' Lauren chuckled into her phone.

'I hate you so much, Lauren. I come to all your races. All the time. The one time, I can't make it, you decide to casually get a Formula One podium,' Ruby shrieked into her phone.

'You know what, I'll go ask them if they want their trophy back. I'll go get myself disqualified so you get to witness my second win as if it's the first,' 

'You think I'm joking, but I'll hold you to that. I have a carton cut-out of your face. I mean serious business, Miss Evans,'

'Well, you can put it on your pillow and kiss it for all I care,'

'You're disgusting,'

'No, I'm Lauren,'

'That joke got old three years ago. For the love of God, we need to get you laid,'

'By all means, if you can find me a tall guy with a pretty face, please do get me laid,'

The sound of a throat clearing startles Lauren, still standing in the hotel hallway. 'As much as I love your enthusiasm, I'm gonna have to decline. I already have plans tonight,' Charles came to a halt right in front of her. Lauren was staring at her shoes, avoiding his gaze. His presence was already invasive as it was.

'Ruby, I will get to you later,' Lauren hung up, lifting her head to face the Monegasque, 'Charles, what can I do for you?'

He took another step closer. Lauren instinctively took two back, hitting the wall. Charles smirked, dimples appearing on his cheeks. Lauren

'I think you know exactly what I want you to do for me,' he uttered, his voice seductively hoarse near her ear. Lauren managed to restrain herself from leaning into him. Lucky for her, he put her out of her misery by pulling away.