Epilogue

Epilogue

Kitty caressed her rounded stomach as summer came to an end. She hadn’t participated in the seasonal activities as much, instead choosing to spend time with her family.

Annie had given birth to a girl, little Amy. She and Joseph were elated and a large christening had been held for her at her father’s expense, not that he minded. Amy was a very pretty, docile baby. She’d inherited her mother’s brown eyes and light blonde hair. Everyone was convinced she would be the talk of the town in eighteen years.

James was still courting Miss Sarah Smith and had assured his family that any talk of an engagement was far away.

Henry had graduated from Eton in June and was now enrolled at Cambridge studying law much to their parent’s delight.

And Little J. Little J was still sneaking off as usual. She had turned one and twenty and their parents were now wanting her to get more invested in finding a husband. They didn’t mind if he wasn’t noble, and they didn’t mind if she waited a few more years, but she didn’t show any interest in marrying any of the men that the Alcott’s socialised with.

Evangeline had married her baronet and had moved to Cheshire to his estate. They corresponded weekly. Evangeline was enjoying married life and running her own household. She wasn’t with child yet, but it was only a matter of time.

But Kitty was with child once again. Will was six months old and Kitty was four months along with her and William’s second child. William was really enjoying his work as Commodore at London’s naval base. Every so often he would go on short journeys around Europe but he never went across to America at Kitty’s insistence.

The house that they had taken was very nice. It was much smaller than Ethridge with fewer rooms, but it was still a fine place for a young family to live. They had a staff of ten. A cook, two kitchen maids, two footmen, a butler and four housemaids.

Kitty was very happy with how her life was turning out. Just over a year ago she was starting her London season as a silly young girl. Now she was leaving it as a mature mother of one, nearly two.

She sat in her parent’s drawing room, bouncing her very aware son on her lap. They were having Sunday lunch after the church service. Since everyone permanently resided in London, Emilia insisted on everyone gathering on a Sunday to keep family bonds tight. Kitty enjoyed it. She loved being around her family.

“There you are,” William said, entering the drawing room and closing the door behind him. “Lunch is served.”

Kitty nodded and cooed to Will. “You’re going to go and play with a maid for awhile so mama and papa can have some food, yes, you are!” she said in a baby voice. Will giggled and clapped his hands. He didn’t know what Kitty had said but he enjoyed the interaction.

William laughed. “You sound so adorable when you speak like that.”