Chapter One

Jim ran through the house closing every door along the way. Every cabinet, closet, and cubby had to be shut or completely lit up to satisfy Jim's desire for safety. No one knew exactly why people had started disappearing from their homes, but each individual case showed no forceful entry into any homes, implying the threat had to come from inside. No one in town was kidding themselves, they knew that something supernatural, or down right demonic was happening. Only problem is none knew what to do about it. The preacher had been to at least twenty houses already, to cleanse the house of evil spirits. This only seemed to anger whatever it was tormenting the town, because after each "Excorcism" people died in the very house they trusted to protect them. Annointed by holy water or not, no house was given pass when shit started to pour. Families were being torn apart left and right. Children taken from parents, kids left orphaned, pets found mangled. All was becoming too much for the town. The worst part is no one from outside the town believed them, and they had no proof to back any of their story up.

So as Jim ran through the house doing his very best of his nightly patrol to secure the perimeter. If all went well, their family's luck would continue. 7 year old Jim Pearson hadn't lost a member of his family yet, And didn't plan to let it happen, not on his watch. He closed every possible opening in the house, securing each shut with an appropriate "oomph" to match the effort he put into it. Lights flickered on throughout the house casting eerie shadows across the floor, but it sure beat the complete darkness.

Dusk was coming on quickly now and all the streets were devoid of life. Not a soul dared be anywhere unsupervised at this time of day. Businesses closed early, even professionals began losing business due to this entire escapade. Those who found it ridiculous to hide and quiver, and instead walked freely at night, were nowhere to be seen now. The empty streets proved their absence. It seemed that the non-believers were the first to go. Almost like some clockwork agenda was planned specifically for them and them alone. This had an effect on the town that nobody understood. Instead of talking about it, everyone remained silent as if it was always watching, waiting for someone to mention it, like an over-bearing boss in an office. So, as the light turned low outside, houses got brighter, and little Jim slept in a room as bright as day, hugging closest to him his most favorite toy, his plush turtle.