vii. defying orders

•°. *࿐

vii. defying orders

     THE CAPITOL BAR was the only place Avonlea could love and hate at the same time. The rich, high priced drinks they served couldn't be beaten anywhere else in Panem yet in order to be able to enjoy these luxurious beverages, you're forced to put up with intoxicated Capitolites which are somehow worse than the most insufferable Capitol citizens.

Sitting at the bar drinking their overpriced drinks, Haymitch and Avonlea watch as three men dance in the middle of the room with their once stiff and styled hair falling out of place and their ornate makeup looks now cakey and patchy. The two victors simply laughed at them, promising to stab the other if they ever witnessed them acting in such an inebriated manner.

"So uh... how was that dinner with Snow?" Haymitch asks as the three men fall to the floor. Avonlea watches as the peacekeepers drag them away thinking about how this could've been a nightly occurrence for them. How she wishes to get overly drunk every single night just as they do.

"Same as always. He did say a lot of people are talking about Katniss and Peeta" Avonlea lies. No one but Finnick knows what Snow uses her for and he only knows because he is subject to the similar abuse. She didn't need to give anyone else a reason to pity her or see her as weaker than them.

"Yeah you called that one, these tributes are different to everyone I previously mentored. Usually my opening speech about inevitable deaths crushes whatever hope they had but not these two stubborn kids" Haymitch sighs, rubbing a hand over his face. "I remember you were like that too. The other mentors would talk about how crazy Mags and Finnick were for even thinking you had a chance"

Avonlea had a bad habit of blocking out the naive, oblivious girl she used to be. That sweet thirteen year old girl she was when her name was picked out had been long gone and all she had of her were memories tainted by blood and grief. Avonlea didn't want to poke at the skeletons in her closet, none of the victors did. So when Haymitch notices the sudden lack of movement he immediately tries to change the topic until a group of Capitol sponsors take a seat beside them. They look over and recognise the two victors, whispering between themselves before making their introductions and fawning over how much of an honour it is to sit beside them.

"You two are the district twelve mentors this year right? I've always loved an underdog" One of the Capitolites says, tapping the bar to call over the bartender.

"Yeah well those two aren't underdogs, they may not be careers but they have loads of prior training. I'd be surprised if they aren't the last two standing" Haymitch tells them, surprising both Avonlea and himself by how easily he slips into the role of mentor. He may not be good at directly giving his tributes advice and training but he was god at gaining sponsors.

Seeing all the sponsors talk among themselves and nod along with his statements, Haymitch places a crumpled up note on the bar and gets up. "It would be best to place your bets on them now, you'll end up making more money in the end when they win"

As he walks off, Avonlea takes a second to take in this new side of Haymitch before following after him through the avenue of Tributes. "Didn't know you had that in you Haymitch" Avonlea says as she finally reaches his side.