nine.

nine.   truths and consequences

Trigger warnings: some sexual assault in the last section.

When you arrived back at the Boarding House, Elena was waiting for you. She put her finger to her lips, her eyes darting up the stairs. You raised an eyebrow as she gestured for you to follow her. It was when she reached the cellar door that you realized what she was doing. You rushed forward and grabbed her arm, looking at her pointedly.

I have to do this, she mouthed you. Bonnie.

You let her go, hoping you didn't regret this. This wasn't the plan you had in mind when you warned Elena. You knew Elijah's wishes. He wanted to kill Klaus, and you couldn't let that happen. But you thought, perhaps, seeing his brother here after all these years would change his mind. You hoped it would. Perhaps Elijah would help you stop him without killing him. Like Elena, you didn't really have a choice. You had to trust that Elijah really was a man of honor.

You followed her down and stood back as she pulled out the dagger. "How long do you think it usually takes?" She whispered.

You shrugged, though you did know the answer. It would take him a few minutes, especially given the length of time he'd been under this time. You stood against the wall, your eyes closed as you waited.

Suddenly, you heard it. His heart beat first, and then the gasp of breath. You opened your eyes as he grabbed Elena.

"Elijah," Elena said quietly.

He looked at her in shock, still gasping for breath. "Katerina."

Oh shit. You moved closer to Elena, ready to pull her out of his grasp if needed.

"Elijah, please it's me, Elena," Elena said quickly.

"Oh my God," he said.

"Elena, maybe you should move back," you pulled her back. That was a mistake because recognition hit his eyes when he saw you.

"Y/N," he said, breathing out in relief. This was a familiar sight to him, waking up from being daggered to your face.

He choked out. "I can't breathe. What's happening to me?"

He tried to rush towards the door, but slammed into the wall. You went over to help him, and he grabbed your arm. "Y/N, please, I can't be in this house," he said.

Elena gasped. "You haven't been invited in," she said.

"Then get me out of here," he said before rushing up the cellar. You followed him up as he went out the front door. Elena was right behind you but you had to grab her as she tried to get to the door. Elijah had woken up betrayed and disoriented. There were several times in the past where he had awoken and immediately attacked Niklaus. Elena was much more fragile. Elijah tried to grab her but the invisible force at the door stopped him.

"What happened?" He asked, looking between you and Elena.

She shushed him, pointing upstairs. "I'll tell you," she whispered. "But not here. Can I trust you?"

"Can I trust you?" He whispered back. His eyes met yours and you saw the betrayal in them. You had to look away.

Elena looked at the dagger in her hand before holding it out to Elijah. He smirked as he took it, placing it in his inner jacket pocket. "Very well, Elena," he said. "But Y/N comes too. Her, I trust."

You and Elena exchanged a look. "Okay," Elena said.

• • •

You were sitting in the back seat as Elena drove and the sun began to rise. Elijah was drinking from a blood bag. He had offered you some but you declined. He needed it more than you did.