August Confusion

The wind was blowing through my long brown hair. It was about 8 o’clock at night and I was walking home from work. My boots hitting the dirt road as I walk through the silent night. It was always calm around here. That’s what I liked most about living in Eton. Yes I am from Georgia and yes I am “country”. Most people always assume.  The night was black and the fire flies were illuminating the grass. I could hear the crickets give out there mating calls. I always found the sounds soothing, my little brother not so much, he would go out there and shoot the grass until it would stop. I walk through the door and noticed that I was alone. “Gretchen, Went out to one of your dads bar parties. We will be home at 12. Nate is at his friends.” I forgot about the party or I would have gone. My dad owns a bar that’s a few blocks away from here. It does pretty good business and he tends to have a lot of parties for people or just because he’s bored. I walk up to my room and collapse on the bed. I hated working double shifts.

                I had decided to check up on the lives of people on Facebook when I heard the little tap on my window. I look over and saw Trevor at my window. I opened it and let him sit on the ledge. We had a vine ladder that he would always climb up. “Hey Gretch, how was work?” “It’s over that’s all that matters.” He smiles. Trevor has been my best friend since birth. He was my next store neighbor and we did almost everything together. “Dude there is a big party tomorrow at the barn, you should come with me?” “You’re just saying that because you don’t have a date.” I smile at him. “Maybe I wanted you to be my date.” “Psh ok. I will go with you.” “Great. Well I should get back before Lola flips.” “Be nice to your mother she puts up with a lot from you.” I hug him and he doesn’t let go as fast as he usually does. He smiles and climbs down.

I will admit I do have a crush on Trevor but I couldn’t ruin the friendship. I always had that thought in my head to be with him but I always pushed it to the back because I knew it would never happen. I have known him since I was at least 3 and now I am 20. He always made my day even when we would go exploring for monsters in the woods. Now he is helping his mom on the farm since his father passed. He was a hard worker, his dad raised him right. I stare at the picture of us from the Hay fair last year. His blue eyes staring at the corn dogs that were just put out. I was just looking at him. His blonde hair, farmer’s tanned, muscular body. Oh what am I drooling over? He’s my best friend nothing more nothing less.

            I wake up 7am and go down stairs. “Good morning mother.” I pull out the eggs and help fix breakfast for my brother and father. “Good morning dear, how is work?” “Great as always.” I look at her and she laughs. We finish up breakfast for the men and Nate comes down. “Dad is coming he’s on the phone with Uncle Paul.” Oh Uncle Paul. He was a year older than me and was adopted into our family as an Uncle. I had to admit he and I had some crazy times together. He would take me out to parties and we would kiss and act like complete fools. Nate always called him Uncle Paul because he was around a lot due to him being a stable hand. Dad comes down. “Gretch, go over Paul’s and give him some of moms chicken soup she made, he’s sick and won’t be coming in today. Looks like you will be helping me out today Nate.” Nate smiles. I grab the container from mom, throw on my boots and go out to the truck.

            I walk into seeing Paul lying in bed. “I heard you were sick, I brought you some soup.” “Thanks babe.” I walk over to him and hug him. I didn’t care if I got sick. “I was hoping would come bring it for me.” I smile. “We gotta hang out soon, I miss my bug.” I blush. “When you get better I will ok.” He gets up and kisses me. “I miss you.” “Your cold medicine is kicking in, go to bed.” I leave and drive back to the house. I see Trevor running the tractor. I couldn’t help but stare. He sees me and drives over to me. “Hi. You still up for tonight?” “Yeah, why wouldn’t I be?” He smiles and drives away. I go in and end up falling asleep on the sofa.

I wake up to Trevor sitting on me. “Get up now.” I sit up and realize I over slept. I run up to my room and quickly throw on a white slip on dress and flats. I braid my hair and I am good to go. He takes me out to his truck and we drive up to the barn on the other side of town. You could see the bonfire smoke and hear the country music blaring. I get out of the truck and follow Trevor over to the fire. He throws me a soda and we chill. He was talking with his buddies and I was left alone. I never liked being left alone at a party of people I didn’t know. “Hey lets blow this party and drive around.” I smile and follow Trevor back to the tuck.

            We end up driving up to the hill that looks over most of the town. He looks at me and smiles. “Thanks for going to the prep party with me I knew you got bored.” “It was fine, I had fun.” He puts his arm around me and hugs me. “You’re a great friend Gretchen.” “You are to.” He leans in and kisses me. It was amazing, fireworks went off in my stomach, crowds cheered. I was mud in his hands.

            I was awoken by the sound of alarms. There was an IV in my arm and a nurse. She looks at me and quickly runs out. I see my family come in along with Paul. I look around confused. “What’s going on?” “You have been in a coma for three months. You had a four wheeler accident.” Paul kisses me and I just look at him. “Why did you do that?” “Because you’re my wife Anna.” “Anna?”