Muted // 02

At Beacon Hills Memorial, Melissa McCall rounded the corner, stopping when she saw Scott and Stiles holding up a blonde boy - who was evidently in pain - with Maria slightly to the side of them. The trio smiled sheepishly, Liam too in pain to smile at all.

"Uhh. Hi, mom..." Scott trailed off, looking at Melissa with a smile. Melissa shot him an incredulous look, motioning for Maria to get a nearby wheelchair for Liam.

"Don't worry Liam, we'll take good care of you." Melissa and Maria helped Liam into the wheelchair, the boy a little in shock due to the pain and the fact Maria was holding his arm.

As Melissa wheeled him off around a corner, Stiles turned to the McCall siblings. "I got to get going. I promised Malia I'd help her study."

Scott and Maria nodded, the latter being stood a little further away.

Maria always thought she was intruding in her friends conversations, even if she was the subject or if she was directly involved. She felt as though she wasn't supposed to be there. She felt like she was an outsider, like she had no right to be talking to them.

As she was off in her own head - overthinking - Scott and Stiles continued speaking, completely oblivious to how Maria felt.

"Sure, I wanna check on him anyway" Scott spoke, ready to wave Stiles off. Before the boy could leave, he turned back, looking at Scott as he spoke next, "hey... I don't need to say that this wasn't your fault, right?"

Scott sighed, shrugging "I don't know..."

Stiles sighed, putting a hand on Scott's shoulder, "Scott, if you had used any wolf power, that kid wouldn't be limping - he'd be crawling back to the other half of his body."

At this Scott cringed a little, "if I hadn't been so worried about being captain, he wouldn't be hurt either..."

Stiles removed his hand, looking directly at Scott. He spoke matter-of-factly, ensuring Scott got the message, "it's okay to want something for yourself once in a while. Team captain, Alpha werewolf...You're still only human."

Scott smiled slightly, appreciating his words, nodding at him in thanks. Stiles clapped his shoulders once again, nodding and bidding him goodbye to go help Malia. He turned to Maria, waving bye. When he spoke to her, saying a short, "bye Mar." She snapped her head up, breaking out of her thought as she smiled at him, waving slightly. Stiles didn't think much of her minimal response - Maria had always been more reserved.

Scott turned to Maria. He noticed she was quieter than usual, despite being quiet most of the time. "You okay?"

Maria sighed a little, looking down before inhaling, looking back up. "Yeah, yeah-no I'm good." She smiled at him - albeit a little forced - reinforcing her response.

Scott nodded, less than convinced. "Are you staying?"

Maria thought a little. She was going to stay, before she saw Melissa coming over, she didn't want to talk about what had happened with her father. She shook her head 'no' and Scott nodded at her. "Okay, be careful, I'll see you later. Love you."

"Love you too" she responded, hugging him as she walked away, out the exit. Scott watched her leave with a sigh as he turned to his mother, asking where Liam went. His mother sighed, watching as Maria left before leading Scott away.

———

Maria didn't want to go home, incase her father was home. Instead she walked to the animal clinic, hoping to speak to Deaton.

As she got there, she called out, "hello?"

Deaton peaked his head around the corner, "hello, Maria. Everything okay?"

"Uhhh yeah...I just didn't want to go home." Deaton looked at her warmly. "Of course, come in here." She moved to the back, helping him with the dog he was currently seeing. He finished up and turned to her. She sighed a little, unsure of what to say to him until she remembered what happened the other day.

"Hey, uhh actually there is something I need to ask you about.." she said to him. He smiled at her, "of course, what is it?"

"When we were on our way to get Derek back, in Mexico, I was cut by the thing that hit Stiles's jeep. It was a deep cut and I healed within around a minute or two." Deaton furrowed his brows a little. "I mean, it might be nothing but it usually takes the others - even Scott longer than that to heal sometimes - and it might just be a one time thing or some weird anomaly or something but I thought-"

Deaton cut off he rambling, noticing she was getting nervous that she may have made a big deal out of nothing. "That is odd." He spoke as he looked at her in wonder. Maria spoke next, "maybe we should see how long it takes me to heal, like time it."

Deaton looked a little hesitant at first, but agreed as he grabbed a stopwatch. Maria grabbed a scalpel from the drawer and started by slicing her palm. Deaton timed it as he watched in amasement. The wound closed after only a few, short seconds. She made a deeper cut on her upper leg, a few centimetres below where her shorts cut off. This cut was deeper. Deaton started the stopwatch again, stopping it almost immediately when the wound closed almost instantly.

He furrowed his brows. Maria looked at him, gauging his reaction. "Do it again, deeper." He said as Maria nodded, doing as he said. She hissed a little as it stung but, nevertheless, she awaited his reaction as - once again - her wound closed almost instantly.

He hummed. "That is quite strange. If you notice anything else, come to me." He recalled that Maria was particularly strong for a beta and that she was extremely fast, even faster than Scott - despite being his beta.

"Sure, okay I- I can do that." She jumped off the counter, washing her leg and hands as she washed the scalpel. She grabbed her phone, having received a text from Scott, indicating something important had happened. She thanked Deaton for his time as she waved goodbye. She began running home, reaching it quite quickly.