𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

"Thalia? Luke? Where is everyone?" I called in the eery silence. It was unusual for the halls to be this deserted. The only sound was the light thudding of my feet and rough intakes of breath.

  Turning a corner, I saw a maid, walking past hurriedly. "Hello? Can you please tell me where is everyone?" I asked.

  "Oh my! My apologies, Princess. You would find your friends, Knight Luke and Dame Thalia in the council room. I'm afraid I cannot tell you any further." The maid replied, head bowed. After a nod and offer of gratitude from me, she shuffled away.

  "...this news is very unfortunate indeed, but we cannot risk the princess' life. It's too dangerous." I heard Luke's voice and stopped in my tracks. It was not good to eavesdrop, I knew that, but they were talking about me. I couldn't help myself as my curiosity was sparked.

  "But knight-" 

  "We shall speak no further of this topic. Especially in front of the princess. She is not to be known about what the gods wish." He said sternly. I was bursting for information. Always. But Luke hiding anything from me was not only unusual, but also concerning.

  The doors creak, barely, as I enter the the room, but it was enough for all the talk to die down and all the eyes to focus on me. 

  "Where is father, Luke?" I ask, gazing at the empty throne and then the armoured knight in front of it. "I don't recall a single day he missed the council meetings. What is the matter?"

  I didn't want to create a scene, but my tone conveyed the words I left unspoken. I heard everything.

  "Annabeth, it's nothing, just..." He trailed off, trying to avoid my gaze.

  "Tell me." I say. I was nervous, even scared, to listen to his next words. Thalia was looking from me to Luke, seemingly as nervous as I felt.

  "Annab-"

  "It's an order. From the Princess of Athens to the Knight Commander." And at that moment, it didn't matter that I was sweating after just coming back from the training, or that I was wearing pants instead of a gown. My words held authority. I demanded a direct answer. 

  "Let's talk about this calmly Annabeth..." Thalia said, trying to calm me down. I was calm. I was scared and nervous. I was panicked. I wanted answer, and at the same time, I dreaded it. 

  I walked to the small door behind the throne. It was for private meetings and assignations. Sweeping away the ivy covering the door, I stepped into the room, with Luke and Thalia in tow.

  "Annie... He is ill. The physicians were confused. There seemed to be no way to cure him out of this unannounced disease..." Thalia said, each word coming out more careful than the last. As if afraid I might lash out, or break down, or probably both.

  "There is a cure... From the way you phrase it, there is a cure." I say, looking at them both, trying to decipher the lines on their faces and the furrow in their brows. 

  "Yes, Annabeth, there is. But as your friend and a respected knight of Athens, I cannot let you do it-" He tried to argue before I interrupted again him with my palm to hold on.

  "I can ask someone else too, Luke." I reply simply, putting him in a situation there was no backing out of.

  "Okay, there is a cure. And you're the only one who can retrieve it. The root..." 

  The root. There were so many questions swirling through my head, each more confusing than the last. But one thing was certain, I'll do whatever it takes.