21

The return from the Holidays was a whirlwind, as was usual. The train had been extra full this year, parents wanting their kids home more than ever as the papers grew more and more dark, disappearances and un-solved break-ins littering the pages each week.

Charlotte tried not to think about how Remus was surely one of the only students who had chosen to stay at Hogwarts this year. She tried not to think about him at all, in fact, even as she fell back, slowing down in their march to the Great Hall as Sirius, James and Peter all raced towards their friend who towered over the rest of the students in the hall, leaning against the stone entranceway.

Mary slowed with her, whether she realized or not, while Marlene and Lily too rushed to greet Remus, waiting patiently for James to let go of the bear hug he had forced the missing Marauder into.

Mary didn't speak, letting them reach the rest of their group in their own time, though their absence was hardly missed, the boys all launching into stories and questions of what Remus had been up to over break.

Charlotte pulled her eyes from Remus's face, watching as Sirius listened to the conversation, a small smile plastered on his lips to be re-united with their full group. Remus looked well rested, for once, a slight glow radiated from his skin, though she couldn't pretend not to notice the two red lines painting along his neck. They were new, she would have known that even if they weren't still bright and angry. They hadn't been there before the holiday.

"Hey," Remus's eyes finally latched onto her own as she and Mary caught back up, the group moving slowly towards their usual seats for dinner.

"Hey, Remus... Good Christmas?" She forced out, feeling James gaze flickering between the two of them even as he reached his seat.

"Yeah, it was good." He answered, "Yours?"

"Same." She offered him her best smile, grateful as Mary dropped into place beside her, hips locking together easily. She wasn't angry anymore, and she truly didn't want to talk about it. Everything was fine, even if they weren't friends. She didn't want to make it everyone else's problem, especially watching James's wide eyed stare. It was important to him that everyone got along, and she intended to make that happen.

Dumbledore stood, stealing everyone's attention at once, offering them a short and sweet welcome back and ordered them to all dig in after a long day of travel. Peter and James apparently hadn't needed to be told twice, despite their mid day snack of sweets Sirius had finally offered them nearly an hour after they had woken from their naps.

They ate in silence for a while, a few comments slipping out as they all grew full before Sirius finally looked to Marlene, a large grin spread across his face.

"Well, Marley... You'll never guess what I got for Christmas."

"Why are you singling me out, Black?" Her eyebrows furrowed, "Why do I feel like I'm in danger?"

The girls laughed as Sirius waved his wand towards the doorway, two small pieces of paper zipping past them and into his outstretched fingers which he then held out towards Marlene.

"You're joking!" She reached for them, but Sirius was too quick, pulling them just out of her reach as Lily and Mary stood slightly against the bench to see. "Your parents would never get you Fleetwood Mac tickets, where did you get those?" She was practically whining, Mary chuckled though the boys were silent.

"Blondie's a real giver." Sirius teased, Lily rolling her eyes as Mary let out a dramatic retch.

"Sirius," Charlotte swatted his chest, though his grin didn't fade.

"Charlotte?" Marlene's eyes were wide as she spun to the blonde.

"I got him two! He can take you-"

"Na-uh, Charlotte! We've been through this!" Sirius poked her between the ribs with his free hand and sent her squirming away into Mary's side. "Sorry, Marls, but I'm sure you'd agree. It's in everyone's best interest if we convert another of our friends to real music."