Raccoon Two

(His daughter has a kitten shift, I forgot and fixed it. (this character came over from a random chapter in my other book, Crow, but he stands alone in this story... but Crow is adorable and you should still read it!) 

Slowing to a stop, King wiped at his brow, then stared up at the gray sky. It had rained for a short while, but then decided to stop, as per usual. It would likely start again soon, but he didn't mind either way. The rain had felt good after running nearly two miles. 

He looked around for a few moments as he finished catching his breath, then noticed a good spot for a quick picture and walked over to the railing at the bottom of the bridge he was about to cross back over. 

It took a minute to get the best position for the selfie, but he managed to get a great shot right as the wind rustled his short, dark hair. The light also made his soft grayish-blue eyes shine perfectly. 

This one will work nicely. 

He quickly opened his gaming app and uploaded the photo onto his profile. With more than two-hundred thousand subscribers, he was one of the newer rising stars of the gaming industry. His skills had his number of watchers steadily increasing daily, but his looks also brought in quite a few people, too. 

Being in his prime at twenty-two, and with a strict workout regime and clean eating habits, he knew that he looked good... and used it to his advantage. He didn't care if people followed him for his gaming prowess or for his looks. As long as they were reasonable to each other while posting on his profile, and didn't go overboard, like the person who had somehow found his phone number a month ago and refused to stop calling him, he was okay with different kinds of fans. 

Grinning to himself, he quickly typed up a little description, then added the photo to it before hitting the post button. 

Good morning, guys. It's a cool, rainy day. Perfect for a run! 

He waited a full five seconds before the replies began to come in. 

MNTN: Don't catch a cold, our King! 

BWLofFRT: I'LL RUN WITH YOU!

GAY4KING: I'll do other things with you! 

He shook his head and turned off his phone as the message board quickly became too busy to follow. 

"As crazy as always," he said with a chuckle as he tucked his phone into his back pocket before beginning his trek back across the bridge. 

It wasn't even a mile in length, but the incline was a great part of his workout and took a bit of extra effort to run. He managed to get nearly all the way to the top before he felt his body really begin to ache. 

Not too bad since you haven't been out in a bit. 

The past week had been extremely busy. He'd finally moved out of his mother's house and gotten himself an apartment with the money he'd saved up from streaming, and  as soon as he'd gotten all of his stuff set up in his bedroom, he'd had to play in a sponsored tournament! 

He'd managed to do surprisingly well in it, too, and had received an email late last night about possibly increasing his streaming salary. If everything worked out well, he might not even need to get a real job!

Just the thought of being able to do what he loved as his main source of income had him grinning as he reached the top of the bridge. 

"Huh...?" 

Am I seeing things? 

He looked at the passing cars, then out towards the water. 

Everything else seems normal.