Chapter 7

Uploading Memory

Upload complete

Booting Up...

You slowly open your eyes. You see your training room but you're in a different spot. You look to your left and see... yourself. Your limp body is attached to the machine just like you remember.

Am I... dead?

You take a look at yourself and realize that you are the disassembly drone that you simulated as. Only now, it's real. You are still attached to the mechanical arm, which is keeping you in place.

"Tessa?"

You don't see anybody.

"Hello...?"

You feel scared. Where is everybody? Before you begin to panic, 2 unfamiliar men walk through the door. The man on the right speaks.

"Hello, Y/N. Before we send you to Copper-9, you should know that your name to the other drones will be Serial Designation B."

You nod.

"Remember. Your job is to join the team of disassembly drones and help them wipe out the worker drone population. Understood?"

"Y-yes."

The mechanical arm lowers you and detaches. You step forward. The man on the left walks over to a cabinet and grabs something inside. He walks back to you and hands you a fur coat with a yellow band on the left sleeve. You take it, put it on, and roll up the sleeves.

"Please follow us."

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

You stand in front of the landing pod, alongside the two men. A section of the room is sealed off by a barrier of glass. Behind it are a three people handling the controls.

One of the men you are standing next to nods to the control center and the landing pod door opens. You walk in and sit in the seat, strapping on all of the seatbelts. The door closes.

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

You hear a beep and turn off sleep-mode. You look at the screen in front of you.

Landing in 1 hour

You take a deep breath and swallow your anxiety, tapping your fingers on the armrest of your chair. You have no idea how long you were offline. You look at the screen to the left. It gives you an overlay of what your objective is: Join the team of disassembly drones and take out the worker drones.

You retract your claws on your right hand and deactivate them again out of boredom. You do this for a while until you hear another beep.

Landing in 5 minutes

You adjust in your seat and stay alert.

What will the team be like? Will they accept me? What if they try to kill me? I'll just play it cool. What if I screw up?!

You start sorting through all the possibilities.

What will the company do if I fail to join the team? They're counting on me!

A mechanical voice interrupts your thoughts.

Landing in 10

9

8

You grip the sides of your seat and brace yourself.

5

4

3

2

1

The landing pod shakes violently and you close your eyes just before it crashes to the ground.

/// Unknown POV \\\

The worker drone trembles with fear as I back it into a corner. I step closer, grinning widely as I lift my claws and slice the drone's head cleanly in half, causing oil to splatter everywhere. I reach down and pick up a half of the head and begin drinking.

Suddenly, the ground shakes and makes me drop the chunk. My eyes widen and I look around wildly for the source of the disturbance. I activate my wings and take to the sky, scanning the ground. Eventually, my eyes land on what looks like a landing pod. The company sent another one?

I find a pile of scrap metal and hide behind it, peeking over the top. The pod door opens and a disassembly drone steps out. But this one looks different. The head sensors, eyes, and tail are (F/C) instead of the usual yellow. (Sorry if your fav color is yellow...)

They look around for a minute, then turn their head directly towards me. I duck behind the pile of metal as fast as possible. Did they see me? I wait for a moment, then carefully look over the top of the pile. They're gone.

/// Normal POV \\\

You take a look around at the dark winter wasteland and immediately know that someone's watching you. A flash of yellow catches your eye. You look at a pile of metal nearby. Somebody is definitely hiding behind it. Before you can go to investigate, you get a warning sign saying that your temperature is rising. You decide that the stalking problem can wait, activate your wings, and take off to find some worker drones.

After a few minutes of searching, you find a group of four worker drones walking together. You land in a nearby tree as quietly as possible and prepare to attack. Feeling lucky, you decide to scare them a bit. You hop off of the tree and swoop down over the group, causing a loud 'whoosh' sound. You pick up the speed and fly into another tree without being spotted.

"Whoa!"

"What the hell?!"

"Dude, what was that!?"

"I don't know!"

The drones say with fear.

You break a stick off of the tree, making a loud crack. All the drones gasp and look around, huddling close together. Perfect. You throw the stick, making all of the drones look in the direction it lands. You silently take off from the tree and land in the snow behind the group, crouched down.

Within a second, you retract your claws, stand up, spread your wings, and laugh like a maniac when the drones all turn around and scream.

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

/// Unknown POV \\\

I stand up and look around. The drone completely disappeared! I open my wings and take to the sky, looking for any clue as to where the mysterious drone could have gone.

After looking for a few minutes, I hear screams in the distance. I start to fly at top speed towards the source of the sound, and I eventually come across the drone... brutally murdering a group of workers.

I land in a tree close by, and I can't help but stare. I watch them intently as they chop the head off of a worker while shooting another with their other hand at the same time. They finish with the group in less than a minute and consume the oil even faster. I watch in admiration.

"Uh... this is awkward."

The drone speaks out loud. Who are they talking to?

"You've been staring for a long time. You could've at least said 'hello'"

My eyes widen in realization, they know I'm here.