Chapter 4

You, Elle, and T walk down the hall and take a left turn, leading into an narrow corridor. At the end of it is a little meeting room, you all take a seat at a small oval table. On the wall in front of you is a projector screen. T grabs the remote and begins speaking.

"So, Y/N, this job is not ordinary, nor is it easy. First thing's first, you are aware of our exoplanet, Copper-9. Correct?"

T clicks a button on the remote, and a picture of the exoplanet shows up on the screen.

You nod.
Elle adds on.

"A few months ago, our entire research team on Copper-9 was wiped out, due to the core collapse. The worker drones on that planet, however, were still fully intact. Since they, like us, are sentient beings, we can't have them on that planet, as they might ruin our research or possibly turn against us."

T clicks the remote again, the screen shows pictures of the destroyed lab and workers.

You nod again, taking in the information like a sponge.

"Just recently, we have sent a team of three disassembly drones to Copper-9 to wipe out the worker population."

The screen shows a drone very similar to the one you had in your dream. There are labels as to what the drone can do, and what parts are being used for.

"Although,"

T picks up where Elle left off.

"These disassembly drones have been experiencing some troubles. It seems that the worker drones have built a colony."

T changes the slide again to show a picture of a large set of doors surrounded by ice.

"After some major adjustments, we have created a new version of disassembly drone. This version is stronger, has a wider variety of weapons, and has upgraded wings that are made out of a flexible metal."

A diagram of this new disassembly drone appears on the screen.

"We will send this disassembly drone 2.0 to Copper-9 to join the team and take out the worker drones."

T clicks the remote and the screen goes black.

T and Elle suddenly have a look of sadness on their visors.

"Your job,"

Elle begins,

"Is to transfer your sentience over to disassembly drone 2.0."

Elle looks at her feet.

You stand up and put your hands on the table.

"So you're telling me... that I have to become a robot, travel to space and kill a colony of other robots?

T and Elle exchange glances, then look back at you and nod in unison. You sit back down, dumbstruck. You need to think.

I have always wanted to leave town, but not Earth all together. It could be dangerous, but like they said, I'll be equipped with lots of weapons.

As you try to decide, you feel your heart race, adrenaline pumping through you.

Why am I thinking so much? What the hell! You only live once! This will be epic!

"I'll do it!"

You blurt out suddenly.

T and Elle look very relieved.

"Your training will begin at 7:00 tomorrow morning."

Elle leads you to your sleeping quarters. You are too tired to notice that some of the staff walking by are staring and whispering, like the students did back at the college.

Once you get there, you flop onto the bed, thinking about what training will be like in the morning.

It's already 11:24. I should get to sleep.

Unsurprisingly, you drift off almost instantly.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

"It's 6:00 AM. Time to get up."

A male robotic voice seems to be coming from the clock next to your bed. Without looking, you reach over, feeling around for a button.

"Ugh! Where's the snooze button on this thing?"

You wonder out loud, your voice a bit muffled because you are hidden under the sheets.

"There is no snooze. Time to get up."

"Mmph."

You pull the sheets down and sit up, rubbing your eyes.

"Are you an Alexa?"

You ask the alarm clock.

"I am a Jimmy." (Lol)

The robotic voice answers.

"Jimmy, where do I go for training?"

You ask.

"You will need to meet your instructor in room A27. It is on the first floor."

"M'kay."

You get up and head to the bathroom to get ready.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

Room A25, 26, 27.

You walk through the doors and see a girl setting up some equipment. She's standing next to something tall and covered with a tarp.

"Hi, I'm Y/N. I'm here for my training."

The girl looks up from her work and smiles once she sees you.

"Ah! Good morning! Nice to meet you Y/N, I'm Tessa Elliot. I'll be your instructor!"

She has a strong Australian accent.

You walk up to Tessa and shake her hand.

"So, the first thing we're going to do today is learn the mechanics of this disassembly drone."

Tessa turns to the covered figure and pulls off the tarp, revealing a disassembly drone. You step back in surprise. You've never seen one in person.

"Relax, it's not active."

Tessa assures.

"Go ahead, take a look!"

You slowly walk towards it. It's about 5 feet tall. It's screen is off, and it seems to be attached to a mechanical arm on the wall. It's hair looks just like yours. There is a headband on its head with five gray bubbles on it. You reach out slowly and touch its arm, feeling the cool, sleek metal on your fingertips.

"Wow"

You whisper under your breath.

"Pretty cool, right?"

Tessa stands beside you, looking at the drone.

Beside the drone is a small cart with some tools and a weird glowing syringe thingy on it.

"What's this?"

You walk to the cart and look closely at the syringe. It's glowing a pretty shade of (F/C).

"Right! That there is part of the drone's tail. We just haven't attached it yet, for safety purposes."

Tessa explains, walking over and picking it up.

"It's full of nanite acid. Deadly to both drones and humans"

You gasp and back away.

"Tessa! Be careful with that!"

Tessa looks at you with a bored expression.

"I wasn't finished! It's deadly to both drones and humans IF it's not treated."

She puts the syringe down and picks up a bottle next to it.

"This neutralizes the nanites. So if anybody accidentally gets some on themselves, this will fix 'em right up."

Tessa puts the bottle back down.

"Righty-o, let's get started!"