Chanukah

~dec 1~

~1 week before Chanukah~

"So are you sure no one has a shift I could cover?" Sokka Asked the captain.

He had been asking about this for weeks, he had asked everyone in the department personally but with no luck.

The Captain sighed, "look I've already told you, most people have had their time off for the holidays months in advance and no one celebrating Christmas in our department will be working."

Sokka sighed, he knew there's no hope!

He had no excuse not to go to his sister's Christmas party in Alaska.

And he was definitely gonna be invited.

It's the first year of him living in Brooklyn, and the only other time he didn't spend the holidays with them was......

Well was the reason he now hates the holiday.

"No luck on your quest to work on Christmas huh?" The person behind him said.

Sokka jumped, "Suki?!? Don't sneak up on me like that."

"I wasn't trying to!" Suki said.

Sokka sighed then said, "I'm still stuck with free time on the holiday. Unless you need someone to cover."

"Unfortunately no, I have the important nights of my holiday off." Suki said.

"Hey Atiqutalaaq, you could cover for me." Someone said across the room.

"Zhang, I thought you turned in your two week notice this morning." Stated Suki.

"Aww Chen, you ruined the fun." Frank whined.

"Wait, You're leaving? But you're the only other Canadian in the department!" Complained Sokka.

"Yeah, I know but my Fiancé wants to move back to San Francisco, and I kind of miss it too." Frank said.

"Well then, I wish you luck at your next department." Sokka said.

"I wish you luck on your mission to work on the holidays." Frank said then he went back to working.

"You know, I'm covering for someone. You can have my shift." Suki offered.

"Really? That would be amazing." Sokka said.

"On one condition." Suki added.

"Oh no what do you want?" Sokka asked.

"I told my adopted parents that I was bringing someone to the Chanukah party they are hosting. And the person I was gonna bring can't come. You have to come with me to get the shift." Suki stated.

"I have to pretend to be your boyfriend?" Sokka asked.

"Nope, I only said I was bringing someone so they didn't try to set me up with someone. I was originally going to take one of my old classmates but she's out of state." Suki stated.

"Oh ok, that's not too bad. But I know literally nothing about Chanukah." Sokka stated.

"That's why I told you this far in advance. I have two weeks to teach you what you need to know." Suki said.

"Ok when do we start?" Sokka asked.

~

Over the next week, Sokka learned everything he needed for the holiday.

And had even been celebrating the first Seven nights of Chanukah.

In the two weeks, Sokka had bought a Hanukkiyah and a Yamaka for the evening.