Chapter Eight

Athena sat on the couch in the living room of her home, picking at the cuticle of her nails, anxiously bouncing her leg

Athena sat on the couch in the living room of her home, picking at the cuticle of her nails, anxiously bouncing her leg. She rested her head on the soft arm of the seal-skinned couch. Her blow-dried hair was pooled around her head, giving her a halo effect.

"Are you going to the games?" her father asked, sipping whisky from his crystalized glass. His eyes seemed darker than usual. He casually leaned against the dark wall, observing her with one hand in the pocket of his high end pants while the other seemed like it was struggling to hold the glass, almost as if it weighed him down.

"I don't know if I should?" she sighed. She rubbed her forehead, trying to release the pressure that was building up. She could feel a headache approaching.

"It is a part of the assignment," he hummed, finishing his drink. She watched as he winced from the hard liquor rolling down his throat. She had whiskey a few times, but she never liked it, she found it burned her throat and nose.

"I know." she trailed off. Athena exited the hospital a few hours after talking to Coriolanus. She felt better having a proper shower and getting into her soft pajamas.

Her father looked at his watch and nodded, "I'm going to bed," her father grumbled, stumbling down the hallway and near his room.

"it's not even lunchtime," Athena called after him.

"I don't care." He yelled, followed by his bedroom door slamming shut.

Once again, Athena was left to her thoughts in pure silence. She could hear the slight shifting of her father moving around in his room, but nothing to occupy her mind.

Eventually, the clock struck 2 pm, when the academy's students were requested to sit and prepare for the games to start.

Athena debated not going; she tried to tell herself she didn't care about her grade, but not knowing if Treech was caught was not leaving her mind. It wasn't long before she wore her Academy school uniform and was out the door.

As expected, the room was buzzing with excited talking, people placing bets on which tribute would win and who would be the first to go.

"Ah, Ms. Highbottom," Flickerman smiled, approaching her when his eyes met hers.

"Flickerman," she greeted with a small smile.

"We are currently in the dark on whether your tribute was found, so you can still sit over there," he pointed next to Coriolanus and Sejanus.

"If your tribute does not appear, get ready to leave," he nodded. Athena walked over to her seat and sat in the uncomfortable chairs. Everything in the room was making her uncomfortable.

"Oh, and Ms. Highbottom," she looked up and made eye contact with the game show host. He gave her a soft smile, "It's good to see you safe."

"Thank you," Athena returned her attention to the computer before her. She toyed with her options; Treech had no donations as he was absent for the interview. If he was caught, he was screwed.

"Okay, come on, we are about to start." Flickerman smoothed out his suit with the microphone in his hand. He observed the students before him cautiously.

"We are about to go live. Just because you are not hosting does not mean you are off the hook. Please help me. Don't get lost behind the screens. No yawning, no gum chewing, and keep your chins down and heads up. Shoulders back. and smile; it's why we have teeth." Flickerman slowly started counting, and Athena could feel increasingly anxious with every number. Her hands began to clam up as she looked around the room; most students were in the same state as she was.

"good morning. I'm Lucretius 'Lucky' Flickerman, a man who needs no introduction, a weatherman and amateur magician. Today, I am honoured to say the first-ever host of the Hunger Games:" There was cheering. He made an envelope appear from thin air.

"In my hand, an envelope, sealed. I opened my prediction, the winner to be, at the show's end." Soon, drums could be heard, and Flickerman started to get ready. Cameras started to roll, and the show began.

Athena anxiously watched, eyes observing every tribute that walked through the gates, "enjoy the show," haunting words. Athena's hands trembled when she watched Wovey and Lucy Gray hold hands for what will probably be their last. Once all the tributes were near their mark, Athena realized Treech was not there. Instantly, she felt herself relax in relief. He got out.

"Stay on your mark, or you will be shot." could be heard. The camera zoomed in on a person hung up on one of the ruin's arches. It was Marcus. Instantly, Athena's head whipped to Sejanus, trembling in anger. 

"Oh, Marcus. We can all sleep better knowing he isn't on the street." Athena flinched when a chair wiped over her shoulder and crashed into the ground. Sejanus stormed to the front, face red with sorrow and anger.

"YOU'RE MONSTERS, ALL OF YOU," He screened; Athena's hand covered her mouth in sympathy, eyes watering as she watched a hot tear roll down her friend's cheek. When he stormed off, it took a few seconds before Athena stood up and chased after him.

"Sejanus," he was nearly running at this point.

"SEJANUS!" she yelled, not caring who heard. Finally, he stopped and turned towards her, tears streaming down his cheeks like a river and his shoulder quivering.

Athena could feel her tears falling as she ran up to him and hugged him. Her arms were wrapped around his neck, and he went around, pulling her into him. She felt his chest heaving as he sobbed, his tears soaking her school shirt. Slowly, his legs gave out, and the two sunk to the ground, resting on their knees.

Athena didn't say anything; she couldn't find words to comfort her friend because she was powerless. They all were. The games will never end, only when the Mockingjay sings.