⸸ Happy Mask ⸸

"I've missed being here," Kennedy admitted as she stood at the top of the half pipe in Bam's garden

"I've missed being here," Kennedy admitted as she stood at the top of the half pipe in Bam's garden. She stared out at the lands that could be seen from where she stood. "Did you miss me?"

Bam gave her a nudge from the side, "Like a hole in the head." He put an arm around her for a moment and smiled at her, "Have you called your family and told them you are home?"

She shook my head as I moved from his touch, looking over and Kennedy watched as Bam's friend, Darby, skated on the half pipe. "I'm not ready to deal with all the questions and looks. Besides, what am I really coming home to?"

"I know your family, whilst we might not get along, I know they love you very much, Kiki." His words didn't feel too comforting, it just made the pressure on Kennedy harder for her to return home. "Saying that, you're welcome to hide here for as long as you want."

Looking back up at Bam, she gave him a small smile. "Thank you." 

"Any way," he said in a nudged her in the side. "Lets see how much you remember." He handed her his board as he tried to bring her happier thoughts to the forefront of her mind. 

Taking the board from him, Kennedy held it in her hands for a second, a slight smile on her lips before she placed the board on the ground. She tried not to overthink the moment as she moved the board with her feet to where she needed it to be. It was the first time in a long time she'd skated in front of others and it showed, her nerves were shot and her hands shook as she prepared herself for the drop. She didn't know how many people were watching her, she didn't know if anyone was watching her but she certainly felt like the whole world was watching. 

Her knees bent slightly as she took a deep breath and went for the drop. 

As soon as the skateboard moved, Kennedy instantly felt at ease and let the skateboard and her body work as one. A sly smile crossed her lips as she felt the adrenaline rush through her as she controlled the board effortlessly. 

"You still got it!" Bam called out to the young woman as he proudly watched on. 

Her eyes flickered up and she was Bam and Darby standing together at the top of the half pipe. She turned her attention back to the current activity, putting in the energy and speed before bringing the board up to where they were and popping off quickly catching the board. 

 Kennedy's eyes looked up at Bam with a twinkle in them. "I've missed this place, so much." There was a difference in her voice, a breathless sound but with happiness.

Darby had noticed the difference in the woman the moment she hit the drop. There was a change in her expression and the way she held herself, it was like she had more confidence. He wanted to ask questions but all he could do was look at the woman like she'd grown an extra head. 

"Can we go out for dinner?" Kennedy asked hopefully as she looked at Bam, for a moment her eyes glanced over at Darby but she didn't care much for his answer before looking back to her friend. The words had blurted out of her mouth before she could think about it, it wasn't that she was hungry, it was that it used to be something she did with Bam and his friends a lot, skate and then dinner.

The older male looked to Darby, who only shrugged his shoulders before Bam turned back to the young woman. "We could order in if you'd prefer?" He suggested trying to be helpful. 

Kennedy shook her head as she smiled, "No. Let's go to Leonardos," she spoke in a positive voice. 

Bam looked at her, his face held a smile but behind the mask he worried for the young woman. Still he wasn't going to dissuade her for the decision she was making. He wondered how much courage saying those few words took. "I'll call them and tell them we're coming then." He looked at his friend, "You coming?"

The younger man looked at Bam with a raised eyebrow, he noticed the hesitation in Bam even if he didn't himself. There was something about the relationship between the two which Darby found a little strange, even if Bam had explained the situation already. "It sounds like you two have a lot to catch up on," he said not wanting to intrude. 

"It's fine," Kennedy spoke with a smile. "We've done all the catching up we need to do," she explained with a nudge to Bam who nodded too. 

·:*¨༺ ♱✮♱ ༻¨*:·

Sitting at the table together, Kennedy was full of energy, full of life. Darby noticed that Bam watched her closely, he wondered what she held over him. He'd knew she was trouble as soon as she appeared at Bam's front door, he'd watched as Phil and April pandered to her and as Bam tip toed around her. He wondered exactly what she meant to this family, it was a weird situation considering what Bam had told him regarding the friendship between the two. 

"So," Kennedy looked over at Darby hoping to start some kind of conversation. "Are you from around here?" 

Darby stared at her, "No." His answer was short as all his answers had been throughout the dinner. 

"Darbs lives in Atlanta," Bam spoke up answering the question in more depth, Bam already knew that his friend wouldn't say too much. "Although he's always on the road." 

"Oh amazing," the young woman looked back at Darby with a grin. "Is that for work?" She asked in an excited sounding voice. 

He glanced at her, he'd noticed a few things about her since she'd arrived on the scene and her enthusiasm when talking seemed to mask the fact that she was hiding something else. Still, he gave her a small smile, "Yes, for work." 

The young woman was used to people giving her longer answers, she had not had to deal with someone who was so short. She smiled widely, her eyes flicking between Darby's for a moment before she reached for her drink and took a sip. "Exciting," the word was dry as it left her lips and for the first time Darby heard the real her.