Accepted vs. Rejected

The excitement somehow leads them back to Pauline's house, where another party is in full swing.

✅ ✅ ✅ ✅ ✅ ✅ ✅ ✅ ✅ ✅ ✅ ✅ ✅ ✅ ✅ ✅

Elsewhere, Mario's slow dancing with Pauline, looking out at the same dance floor he danced all those years ago, when he gets a tap on the shoulder.

He nearly bites whoever's head off, but when he sees Luigi, as well as where he's pointing, Mario just nods, releases Pauline and tells her,

"Be right back."

Then he follows Luigi's lead, as they walk to the back door, open it, and walk in.

❌ ❌ ❌ ❌ ❌ ❌ ❌ ❌ ❌ ❌ ❌ ❌ ❌ ❌ ❌ ❌

The brothers chat with everyone, telling them about their business and panel, when suddenly, something catches Mario's eye.

"Weegee?"

The green brother turns to him, and when he sees where Mario's gesturing, nods, and after making excuses, follows Mario towards the back door, then inside.

✅ ✅ ✅ ✅ ✅ ✅ ✅ ✅ ✅ ✅ ✅ ✅ ✅ ✅ ✅ ✅

The brothers take a moment to let it all sink in, before looking at each other, nodding, then walk down the hall into Pauline's bedroom.

❌ ❌ ❌ ❌ ❌ ❌ ❌ ❌ ❌ ❌ ❌ ❌ ❌ ❌ ❌ ❌

The brothers slow down, still shocked at how things have managed to come full circle, right here in the same house.

But then they seem to come to their senses, and make their way down the hall, into Pauline's bedroom.

✅❌✅❌✅❌✅❌✅❌✅❌✅❌✅❌✅❌✅

Accepted Mario and Luigi are standing at the double mirrored vanity hugging each other when Rejected Mario and Luigi walk in, and they smile at their Rejected counterparts as they join them at the other mirror, also taking a moment to hug each other.

Then simultaneously, all four of them turn to look at the bed, where all of their lives forever changed, before turning back to the mirror.

"We're gonna be okay." Rejected Mario says into his reflection, and one look at his smile is all anyone needs to see he means it.

"We're gonna be okay." Accepted Luigi echoes, mirroring Rejected Mario's smile.

They all look at the bed one last time, before slowly making their way back out of the room.

Except for Rejected Mario, who pulls a piece of paper out of his pocket and walks towards where the real Mario and Luigi are still seated on the bed, holding their letters firmly in their hands, both of them waiting for the other to make the first move.

Rejected Mario unfolds the paper and looks at it one last time,

Dear Mario,

Congratulations on your acceptance to the College of Engin—

The lighter burns the paper away as it drops into the metal trash can, before Rejected Mario nods in satisfaction, and leaves as well.

The real Mario and Luigi look at each other, nod once, and with a flourish, rip open their letters.