Invitations and Dance Lessons

Me? Gio, what's wrong? Sanem asked feeling uneasy.

Sanem, I just feel like I have to say something before it's too late, Gio said with a bit of urgency in his voice.

Too late for what? I don't understand..

Taking a deep breath in, Gio said slowly, Sanem, I, I don't like the way that Can is acting with you. I don't think he's good for you to be spending so much time with.

Can? How is he acting? Gio, I'm not following, Sanem said a bit frustrated.

Sanem, he is interested in you. It's not hard to imagine why he is. You're an amazing woman. But I don't trust him. I don't trust him at all! Have you seen his online photos and profile? He's got a different woman on his arm at all of these functions. He roams the world with no stability or commitment. He's..he's a like a wandering nomad! What could he possibly offer you, Sanem? Gio said calmly but with conviction.

Gio, I don't know what you think is going on between Can and I but I can assure you that we are just friends. And even if that were not the case, I am really uncomfortable talking to you about my private life in this way, Sanem said with a scowl.

I'm ruining this! She's never going to believe that I'm in love with her now because she's on the defense! Fix this, Gio, he said to himself feeling like he was losing control of the conversation.

Sanem, please, please calm down. Don't be angry with me. You have to believe me that I only have your best in mind. I know who you are. I know your kind heart. I don't want this worldly, muscle bound...guy...to come in and turn you around and then hurt you when he leaves, Gio said trying to sound calm but convincing.

Gio, I know that we are friends but we are also work colleagues. This is just inappropriate. You have made yourself clear and I'm not mad. I'm not. But I'm going to ask you to not bring this up again. Agreed? Sanem said sternly. I can take care of myself. I have been for the last 3 years. I don't need a man to come in and save me, understand?

Understood, Sanem. And I'm sorry. I'm so sorry that I upset you or offended you. I won't bring Can up again. I promise, Gio said sincerely.

Lunch ended abruptly as they were both very uncomfortable and ended up back at the office as quickly as possible, both going their separate way once back.

____________________

Can, I don't know if we mentioned it to you but we're having a formal event tomorrow night, Farah said when she joined him and her dad. We'd really love for you to be there since you're in town. It would mean a lot.

You did but when I heard formal, I tuned you out! Can said quickly.

Farah, answered with her puppy dog eyes, Please, Can??

Formal?? Oh man, Farah, you know I hate formal events. I can't breathe in a tux. I want to be there but just let me wear a nice suit. I promise I'll look presentable! Can begged.

Yes, okay, that's fine. I'm just glad you're actually here and coming to it. I'll just tell everyone you're my wild brother that lives in the jungle, Farah said jokingly.

Can I bring someone, Dad? Can asked.

You mean can you bring, Sanem? Aziz said with a playful smile. Yes, of course. I'd love to meet her.

Can left the office to call Sanem since it was such short notice. He thought about Gio and shrugged..all is fair in love and war.

Sanem hung up with Can after accepting his invitation and immediately called the girls. 

I'm going to need a team to help get me ready for this function, ladies! I haven't had to go to anything formal in a long time, she told them. Assuring her they would cancel everything to be there that night to help her, Sanem got back to work with a smile.