Chapter Sixty-Three

Lila nuzzled her Mum's cheek on Wednesday morning, after reminding her that Asher would be coming over that night. Her Mum confirmed this without any hint of enthusiasm. She called Lila back as she tried to leave, and Lila reluctantly returned, her stomach twisting in knots as she anticipated what would follow.

"I heard a few things from Clare," Lila's Mum said through pursed lips. "Earlier in the year, that Asher isn't good for you."

Lila grimaced. "How long ago was that?" she asked.

"A couple months," Lila's Mum nodded. She narrowed her eyes at Lila. "You're not dating him."

It wasn't a question.

"Of course I'm not," Lila replied, affronted.

"Good. He doesn't sound like a good boy."

Lila sighed. "Mum, he's not bad. Clare... just didn't like him then. She was protective."

Lila's Mum pursed her lips again, clearly unconvinced by Lila's statement. "Did something change?"

"You might want to ask Clare what her opinion of him is now," Lila said hurriedly after checking the time. "I've got to go. He's tutoring Daniel, anyway, so whether he's good for me or not doesn't matter."

"See you at dinner," Lila's Mum called as Lila rushed out the front door.

'Hopefully Mum likes him after meeting him,' Lila thought to herself as her school bus dragged along through the streets. She quickly arrived at English to see Asher pacing outside. He grinned when he saw Lila.

"Hey," Asher said, not dropping his grin. "Big day."

"Sure is," Lila nodded. "Got a nice lunch planned, assignments due, plus a tutoring session with my brother after school. You're a busy man."

Asher snorted. "Couldn't do it without you. You're just as busy, you know. I mean, almost literally – you're doing most of that with me."

Lila laughed before becoming serious. "Here," she said, pulling out a $50 note from her wallet and handing it to Asher. "Since you keep paying for my Uber Eats."

"I'm not gonna take this," Asher shook his head, taking a step back from Lila. "I paid 'cause I could and 'cause I wanted to."

"Please take it," Lila pleaded. "I did take out money for things that you said you wanted to pay for, in the beginning. So, don't feel guilty. I want to pay you back."

Asher tentatively reached for it, before looking into Lila's eyes with a hint of uncertainty.

"You're serious," he said softly. Lila nodded firmly.

"Take it. Please. Thank you for paying up until now, but I can't take advantage of your kindness or your cash."

Asher gently took the note and put it away in his wallet. "Thanks," he mumbled.

"No, thank you," Lila said earnestly. "Let's go to class."

During English today, Lila checked and rechecked her assignment before submitting it. Asher had already submitted his and was going through his Maths textbook quietly. Lila yawned, stretching. There were about ten minutes left of class, which she used to plan her study schedule.

"Looks good," Asher muttered. Lila looked at him sharply. She hadn't realised he was looking over at her laptop.

"How do you even know what this is for?" Lila asked, tilting her screen down.

"Says 'Study Schedule' at the top," Asher said simply, turning the page of his textbook.

"Oh."

Asher chuckled, and they didn't speak until the lesson was over.