Chapter 3: The Outbreak

During the testing of the doom fungi on rats, a flea had managed its way into the rat's cage. The fungi had not infected just the two lab rats but also a hidden visitor, the flea. And when the rat's glass cage was opened after they had been killed, the flea had escaped. The flea went off, flying into the air, carrying the spores of doom on it, infecting the other rats.

Four weeks later, there was a sudden upsurge in the number of a plague-like disease in rats in Russia. The Russian authorities thought that it might be a case of the Bubonic plague and did pest control throughout Russia to solve the problem. But the spores were already everywhere in Russia. And through trade and travel, the spores were across the world.

The first case in humans was noted in Russia, Moscow after 2 Months of closing the research. A lady working in a food factory had suddenly been bitten by a rat, which was killed by the lady. But eventually, the lady all of a sudden had experienced a concussion and fell down unconscious. Eventually, when she got up, she had a violent reaction and she tried biting her co-workers. The workers fled locking down the factory with the lady trapped inside. Eventually, when the police went inside to investigate, one of the police was attacked by the lady. Eventually, she was shot down dead by one of the officers.

Dr. Dimitri, being an expert, was called to investigate. He, on inspecting the woman, found samples of fungi they had prepared to doom the USA. He screamed his ass off and rushed outside the room. Eventually, the police officer calmed him down and handed him a cup of tea.

The officer inquired what happened. To which, Dr. Dimitri, with not blood but fear flowing through his veins said, "It is a really lethal fungi." He didn't reveal anything about the fact that they had created it. But he asked the officer if anyone else came in contact with the lady, to which the officer replied with a nod saying yes. Fear could be clearly seen in both's eyes. The officer further added that those who did come in contact have been missing for the past 24 hours. Dr Dimitri himself wasn't certain of how the fungi had managed to spread out despite all the safety measures that were followed. He was confused as the lab rats had been killed and burned or were safely disposed

Eventually, the fungi spread like wildfire, not only in Russia but throughout the world. The leaders of various nations resorted to nuking their own countries in order to kill the infected, but it was too late. While the blame was on many countries, Russia took utmost care that no one found out the truth. Eventually, Dr. Dimitri suggested that they reveal the truth, but his higher-ups made sure they suppressed him. In a quest to cure the fungal pandemic, while he could, Dr. Dimitri fled to the USA where he shook hands with the US government and revealed that it was the Russians who were behind the plague.

As time went on, the governments collapsed. And now the world was nothing but a ruinscape completely overrun by the undead and covered by soot from the nuclear blasts, controlled by groups and communities of people who were still surviving. While some communities were hostile, others were defensive. Some were now a history as they were so passive and non-violent that they could not defend themselves.

But, some governments were semi-functional. The Government of the USA and Russia were two of the semi-functional governments in the post-apocalyptic world. The president of the USA was hiding in an unknown, highly secure bunker. The president had his subordinates on the surface, keeping the government in some sort of power. The president was desperate to find a cure. And in a quest to do so, they had created a team with Dr. Dimitri, with General Mariah.