Chapter 1

3 Months Earlier

Charlotte

"Mr Howard?" He looked round at the receptionist on the desk at the hotel. "We've just received a phone call from Mila Grayson, the pianist for Miss Howard and Mr Hanson's wedding, and she's really sorry but she's been up all-night sick, some bug she thinks, and won't be able to play today."

His face dropped. "You've got to be kidding." The receptionist gave him a weak smile, clearly feeling for the dilemma he was now in, with the wedding only an hour away. He turned away from her, rubbing his forehead.

I'd just got ready and was meeting my mum and dad downstairs when I'd overheard this interchange. He was obviously one of Tori's brothers, but I wasn't sure which one. He was about 6 foot 2, short brown hair, with steely grey eyes and his muscular physique was clearly visible under the fit of his suit. He was hot.

"Umm, hi, is everything ok, I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but I might be able to help." He looked round at me rather confused. "I'm presuming you're one of Tori's brothers?" He nodded. "I'm Charlotte Harrington, a friend of Jack's."

"Unless you can magic a pianist out of thin air in the next hour, I very much doubt it," he said looking rather stressed. I smiled.

"Well, call it what you will, but I think I can fix this." His eyes widened. My own piano skills were limited to scraping a pass at grade 5, but mum was an excellent pianist and taught piano and accompanied music students at the Manchester University Music Department and, like me, was here as a guest. My dad and his twin brother, Uncle Luke were two of Jack's dad's best friends, having been at Cambridge together and then stayed in touch ever since. I'd grown up with Jack, who was two years my senior.

"Give me 5 minutes and I'll see you back here. I disappeared off to find mum, who was with my dad and Uncle Luke.

"Hi sweetheart, everything ok?" she asked.

"Not really." She looked puzzled.

"What's happened?" My dad and Uncle Luke turned to look at me.

"The pianist for the wedding can't play, she's got some sickness bug." Mum smiled guessing what was coming next. "Would you play, please?" She shook her head laughing.

"I knew that was coming. Shame your sister isn't here." Ellie, my twin sister was a concert pianist and currently on tour, so had unfortunately been unable to attend. "I'm going to need some music," she replied, "and not sure about playing in these heels."

"Thank you so much mum, leave the music to me, I've had an idea." I kissed her cheek then disappeared back into the foyer where, ...didn't even know his name, apart from the fact that he was one of Tori's brothers was waiting. He looked up, clearly anxious."

"I've found you a pianist, just need to sort out the music."

"Oh my god, thank you so much, I could kiss you," he replied hugging me.

Interesting offer, and one I may have taken up, if I hadn't had a long-term boyfriend.

"I owe you big time for this," he said.

"We need to sort out music. Do you know anyone who has a large IPad?"

"I do in my room, why?"

"If you could get the other pianist to email her music over, and mum could read it from that."

"Your mum's playing?" I nodded. "She teaches piano and does loads of playing, she's really good." He disappeared off upstairs to get it, returning a few minutes later, handing it to me. He walked over to reception and made the call. A few minutes later he opened his email and the emails popped up with their attachments. After organising them into a folder, he handed me the Ipad.