Call and Response

Izuku was on his morning jog, some pre-quirk music playing in his ear as he ran his usual route to the post office. Yes, it's foolish to think he'd get a response after only a few hours (four but he definitely wasn't counting) but he was too excited not to check.

His usual route consisted of running from his apartment, to the small cafe around the corner for breakfast and a coffee, to the post office, and then past Dagobah beach to go back home. He took sips of his coffee (black with a couple of espresso shots, he didn't get any sleep last night) as he entered the post office, waving at the receptionist and moving to his box.

He just blinked in confusion at the box. There was the usual spam mail for his mom, consisting of lawn care pamphlets and baby ads, but there was an official looking envelope with a U.A. seal on it.

He grinned, dumping all the other pamphlets and ads into the recycling and clutching the letter close to him. Draining the rest of the coffee and dropping the empty cup into the garbage, he ran back home, giddy with excitement at a response. And so soon!

He was physically vibrating as he pulled out his mom's letter opener, being careful not to cut the letter in his haste. Opening it up made his eyes widen.

To Dekiru-chan,

This analysis is absolutely amazing. It's better than most pro-analysts. Please send me your rates so that I could pay you for this 'freebie.' You absolutely deserve it. 

Who are you? Who taught you how to analyze like this? At this point I'm considering firing my current analyst and hiring you instead. For being new to the scene, you have incredible intelligence. It's comparable to Nedzu himself! Please don't tell him that. If you two meet the world might end. 

Also, a few of my friends want analyses of themselves. You should recognize them as pro heroes Present Mic, Hawks, Miruko, Ms. Joke, Ingenium, Eraserhead, and Sir Nighteye. Please respond as soon as possible, they are very excited to work with you after seeing the analysis you sent me. Don't worry about encrypting them, the P.O. boxes are secure enough that no one will be able to break into them. 

As for those theories and questions, you sent me a lot of things that didn't even occur to me. I'll be testing those today, I'll send you a letter with the answers. 

Thank you for your talents,

The R-Rated Hero, Midnight

Izuku flopped face-first onto his bed, pressing a pillow into his face, and screeched. Midnight responded, and liked it! She said that his analysis was better than most pros! Comparable to Nedzu himself! And wanted him to do more!!!

He pulled out his phone, calling his mom. As the phone rang, he bounced on the balls of his feet.

"Izuku, honey? What's going on?" His mom asked, worry barely concealed in her voice. Instead, he covered his mouth to contain an excited squeal, before the floodgates burst open and he started to ramble.

"Nothing's wrong really, everything is fine, more than fine, it's amazing! I told you about that new dream of being an analyst, right? Well last night I sent an analysis to Midnight, the Midnight, about her and she responded this morning! And she liked it! She compared me to Nedzu himself! The smartest being alive on the planet! And she said my skills were better than most pro analysts! And here's the thing- right- She wants me to do more! Pro heroes like Sir Nighteye, and Present Mic, and Hawks! Hawks!"

A chuckle from his mom snapped him out of his rambling. "I'm so glad you're happy, sweetie. Well you should respond to them, but you have to get your schoolwork done first. And eat breakfast. You ate breakfast, right?"

Izuku nodded, then remembered this was a phone conversation. "Yeah, I did. I picked up a couple of muffins from the small cafe on the way to the post office. I'll work on school, I promise mom. Get well soon, okay?"

"Of course, sweetheart. You have a good day."

"You too!" Izuku ended the call, still grinning as he opened up the green folders and blank pages. His single minded focus drove him into writing. It would be a few hours before he reammerged, ready to face the world.

—————————————————

Nemuri was really lucky that the notification for her P.O. box was in the middle of her lunch break. One of the students she was with (a few needed to borrow the art classroom for their projects so she was fine sitting with them) looked up at the whip crack, the ringtone for her notifications. She casually opened her phone, then looked up at her students.

"Can one of you be a dear and go get something for me?" She asked casually, trying not to vibrate with excitement.

"I can!" One of them stuck their hand in the air. A 2nd year in support with a mutation quirk, Tomito, if she remembered correctly.

She tossed her keys to the boy, who caught them clumsily. "Head to the post office a block over yonder," she gestured vaguely in the appropriate direction, "And collect something from my P.O. box. If you explain that I asked you to get something for me and show them my keys, I'm sure they'll show you where it is. Bring it back, and don't look at what's inside. Got it?"

The kid nodded and skedaddled. Nemuri had to wonder about who exactly Dekiru was to be able to send back these replies so quickly. How much time did he have on his hands? Surely he at least had a part time job, right? Or university?

It took the kid only about ten minutes to return with a green manilla folder. Same color as last time. She grinned and dismissed the kid to go back to his work, opening up the folder.

To Midnight-san,

Thank you for the compliments! I'm honored to be compared to Nedzu himself. My current rate is ¥16,000 per analysis. You don't have to send me money for the freebie, it really was no trouble. 

I can't reveal my name, I'm afraid it will damage my credibility (the little I have). I wasn't taught to analyze, I've been doing so since I was a kid. You should've seen my first analyses, they were written in crayon and just amounted to 'so cool.'

I'd be honored to do those analyses! I want to be paid before I hand the analyses over, although I don't think you would rip me off, I don't want to take the chance (it has happened before). I'll take half up front half after or all up front, whichever is more convenient. 

As for the encryption, I am going to continue encrypting them. It's not that I don't trust you, I just want to be careful. Plus, encrypting them has become a habit at this point. 

Again, thank you for the response, 

The Newest Analyst, Dekiru

Nemuri took a picture of the letter, sending it to the group chat.

U.A. Teachers and Company - 12:21 pm

Too Much Perfume (Midnight), Lie Detector (Tsukauchi), and All Might Jr (Nighteye) are online.

Too Much Perfume: *response.png*

Lie Detector: isn't it the middle of class?

Too Much Perfume: its my lunch break

All Might Jr: That is low for the amount of work that Dekiru has been able to put out.

Too Much Perfume (Midnight), Lie Detector (Tsukauchi), Take Names Kick Ass (Miruko), McChicken (Hawks), Nyoom (Ingenium), PUT EM UP (Present Mic), Eraserdad (Eraserhead) and All Might Jr (Nighteye) are online.

Take Names Kick Ass: all in favor of paying him thirty times that say aye

Too Much Perfume: aye

McChicken: aye

All Might Jr: aye

Nyoom: aye

PUT EM UP: aye

Eraserdad: get back to teaching class

Eraserdad: also aye