1

[Keith]

Ring...

Ring...

Another morning, another burden to carry. My hand reached for the sound of ringing and grabbed it. I sighed to see who was calling me. It was Lance. I sheepishly answered while struggling to wake up. "Hello, it's Keith." I said with a husky voice. I hate answering calls in the morning. "Keith, are you awake? Listen, I forgot my textbook at Pidge's place last night. Can I borrow yours?" He hurriedly asked. I rose up to see my clock and it was eight in the morning. I'm going to be late for class. "I'm coming." I said and he sighed in relief. "Thanks a lot. I owe you, man!" He said and then hung up. 

I took a cold shower and then packed up a sandwich for the road. I grabbed the textbook Lance needs and went on my way. At the university gate, I saw Lance waiting but was picking up a lot of girls early in the morning. Well, he's certainly busy. I wave at him and he waves back, dismissing the crowd off and walking towards me. "You're quick, did you even eat?" He asked me as I handed him the textbook. "I ate a sandwich on the way." I told him. "Man, a sandwich isn't going to cut it! Let me treat you to lunch later." He said, smirking. That stupid smirk.

"I'll pass..." I muttered.

"Come on, just us." He said and I felt my heartstrings tug. 

Just us...?  "Okay." I mumble. "What was that?" He said and I nodded. "Okay, I'll eat with you." I told him. "Alright! Meet me at the gate later, okay?" He said. "Lance, don't forget to give back my textbook later. I need it for my class." I told him and he gave me a thumbs up as he ran away. He didn't even bother to walk with me to class. On the way, I stumble to Shiro who was also on his way to our class. "Keith, you're usually so early. Why are you only here when class is almost going to start?" He asked and I glared. "Don't meddle, Shiro. You're not my father." I told him. "I was only asking! Anyway, you don't have a partner yet for the Philosophy project right?" He asked. I stopped for a moment. He's right. I don't have a partner. But, Lance is also taking that subject, maybe I can ask him, right?

Nah, he probably has a partner already.

"Pass, I'll work alone. I don't need any baggage dragging me down." I told Shiro, dismissing him. "That's quite rude you know, but let's pair up. I need your brains." He said and I groan. "You really don't know when to quit huh." I said and he smiled. I despise his weird, mocking smile. "'Kay. Let's pair up." I said, giving in. I could really use someone who doesn't freeload anyway. Shiro opened the door for me and we both sat at equal distances. I look at my phone and there wasn't any messages from Lance. I slump back on my seat as the class starts. I slowly drift off to dreamland, never coming back...

Keith...

"Keith!"

I open my eyes, and saw the rest of the class leaving already and Shiro standing in front of me. "What the hell... you're a heavy sleeper, aren't you?" He asked and I ignored him. "What were you doing last night that got you so sleepy?" He asked and I shrugged. "Can't remember." I said and gathered my things. 

That was a lie though. I knew exactly why I'm this sleepy. Last night, Lance, Pidge, and Hunk were drinking at Pidge's place. Lance told me to stay up since he might need a ride home on my motorcycle if he blacks out. I stayed until 3 am waiting for his call, but he never did. And earlier in the morning, he called me just to borrow my textbook. He never said sorry for making me wait until late. It's pretty stupid of me to do that but I couldn't do anything. I'm probably the guy who has the least self worth in the world. 

Shiro left me abruptly when his boyfriend called him. It's fine though, because he's so damn noisy. And I was going to Lance's classroom anyway because we would eat together. Somehow, it excites me. Lance was never the one to initiate eating out, so this is new. I saw him leave his classroom and I wave at him, but he doesn't see me. He was with someone else. 

"Lance!" I call out to him and he suddenly notices me. He smiles and waves back then heads towards me. But he wasn't alone. "Keith, you're early. Oh, this is Allura. She's an irregular, so I wanted her to eat with us." He said. I clenched my fists and glanced at this girl who had tan skin, shiny hair, and sparkly eyes. I know girls like her. They're his type. He's not befriending her, he's trying to flirt with her. 

"You said it's just us." I said.

"Oh, I'm sorry! I don't have anyone to eat with, and Lance insisted me to join you guys. I'll go on, if that's a no." She says, trying to be pitiful. 

Lance glares at me and smiles back at Allura. "It's fine. We'll eat alone next time. You can join us today. Right, Keith?" Lance asks, trying to persuade me but I didn't want to. He smiles forcefully at me, as if trying to say he won't fulfill his promise next time if I don't agree. "It's okay. I have a project I need to do." I told them. "Really? That's unfortunate." Allura said and I showed a faint smile. "Yeah, very unfortunate. Join us next time Keith. Let's go Allura, where do you want to eat?" He asked her, holding her hand and turning his back on me. 

That was so fast. 

I quietly walked away, fading into the crowd. This hurts more than I thought.