Meeting by the grave

Vincent's decision to make a fresh start away from the pain, loss, and heavy legacy of being a New Orleans witch brought him back to Lafayette Cemetery.

He still had his suitcase in his hand, and he was lost in his thoughts as he walked the narrow stone paths of the City of the Dead.

How many of his loved ones, acquaintances, and friends lay beneath these tombstones? All of them had fallen victim to the senseless war between the factions of New Orleans' supernatural beings.

His dear wife, Eva, and their unborn child were taken from him. He was punished for his foolish attempt to gain more power to fight the vampires, which led to him being caught in Hollow's web.

He was the one who brought the curse upon his home and family.

The witches who were once the regents of the New Orleans covens were buried here, along with his childhood friends, some of whom were still in their adolescence. They all had dreams, hopes, and families just like him. Even his human friends, who had no place in the supernatural world, were caught up in the conflict and paid for it with their lives. So many lives wasted, so much death for nothing. All sacrificed in an endless power struggle that had always felt futile from the start.

At the grave of such a friend, he stopped. Cami died young. Caught in the web of the Mikaelsons, she paid the price of being close to them with her life.

He looked at the tombstone sadly. The engraving scripture made him sigh:

Camille O' Connell

"Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, and endures all things. Love never ends."

1 Corinthians 13:7

No, Cami was never caught in anyone's web. he thought. As much as it pained him to admit it, it was her choice to love a monster and stay by his side. Once more her bright smile came to mind as his hand touched the name engraved on the tombstone.

Vincent's voice trembled with emotion as he spoke to Cami. "I've always known that you were here, by my side, throughout it all," he confessed. "You were the brave one, facing danger head-on and fighting without fear. Pain never deterred you, and you never succumbed to the fear of losing everything, ...and you did lose everything in the end".

In a hushed whisper, he continued, "I admit, I am a coward for choosing to leave. I tried to honor our mission, our purpose. But Cami, I am exhausted. Exhausted from the constant loss and the fading hope.

"We achieved peace, you know," Vincent reminisced. "For nearly seven years, Hayley, Josh, and I worked tirelessly to put an end to the senseless deaths. The city seemed triumphant, but it was all in vain. Evil runs deep within the heart of this place, and it feels pointless to try and change that."

Vincent's hands were shaken as he confessed that Freya and Keelin wanted him to be the father of their child, and he said no.

Another Mikaelson child—two parts witch and one part wolf, he thought.

"I'm so tired, Cami, tired of trying to build on ash only to watch everything burn to the ground once again. You know that bastard Klaus Mikaelson, will finally atone for everything. Trying to save Hope and his family from the Hollow, he will sacrifice himself today. His sacrifice will be the ultimate redemption for all the pain and destruction he has caused.

Man, it makes you wonder, doesn't it? Vincent sighed. I don't know; maybe there is hope for this town after all; maybe there is hope for that family; and maybe a child, a new generation, can finally change all that horror legacy... I wish you were here, sweet lady, with a smile on your face and a drink in your hand, telling me what to do." All the same, Vincent knew Cami's advice.