Chapter 16: 85 Years Later

The central temple was bustling as the top candidate for the Dragon of Fire came storming through the front gates. He was as talented as he was arrogant, and his temper had driven the Dragon of Water candidate to seek tutelage from the Heylin side. Now that there was someone opposing him, it was harder for him to believe the lies he spun from his overconfidence. As a pupil, he'd become Omi's biggest headache.

"That sardonic, evil traitor!" The young monk grabbed an icepack from the freezer for his black eye. "Shin destroyed three more Shen Gong Wu! They belong in the temple, not some museum for westerners to gawk at."

"Not everyone we disagree with is evil Ayden." Omi sighed. He was just about to enjoy his tea too. "There is wisdom in wanting to prevent harm, even if the methods are questionable." The Heylin side had taken up a crusade against the ancient artifacts for various reasons. The biggest being no one, especially children, should wield so much power.

"I'll show them. Once I figure out how, there'll be hundreds." Ayden marched down the hall to find his teammates. "I'll make them faster than they can break them!" The door slammed behind him leaving Omi alone in the kitchen.

That didn't sound encouraging.

He flipped open his phone to contact an old friend.

"Jack, I'm starting to think we have another Wuya/Dashi situation in our midst." Omi cringed at the sound of more door slamming. "I fear my pupil's lessons in humility are not being taken to heart."

"You gotta stop taking every 'problem' student your friends can't handle." Jack said. "But that'll have to wait, we've got bigger problems. I just got a phone call from myself." Omi didn't respond, having heard odder statements within the last week. "A call from myself from the past. We forgot about the Sands of Time!" Of course, eventually he figured he'd take part in the other half of that showdown, but now it felt too soon. "Now we have to be really careful not to do anything different. Even the slightest change in the past could result in massive consequences. You can't reveal anything about the future, don't even look at them funny. It has to be a perfect loop."

"I am well aware of the disaster that comes from meddling with the past Jack, don't worry."

"When?" Jack trailed off, deciding to choose his battles. "Never mind that. I've got a bunch of fake technology we can use so they don't find out about my company. You should probably leave your phone behind. I figure if I'm just so insufferably old at the kid, he won't ask too many nosey questions, you should do the same."

"Jack, slow down, I've done this before." Omi laughed.

"Well, yeah, but... You haven't seen him in five years." Jack said. "Are you sure you're going to be okay?" A heavy silence hung in the air.

"I will do my best."

***********

There were little things about going to the past this time that got to Omi more than he had anticipated. Seeing the temple he grew up in intact in all its glory for instance. Every bit of it, down to the old sleep quarters, had him wistful. Knowing Master Fung was down the hall working on lesson plans was also bittersweet. His younger self was just as hardheaded as his own students were now. It was a wonder anything got done at all.

Participating in a showdown was also strange. It had been years since he'd touched a Shen Gong Wu, and it was hard to remember all their names. Jack's performance as a bumbling old fool was especially impressive given the circumstances. Though Omi didn't dare acknowledge the other man, too much history to try and wave off if they didn't act as expected. It wasn't worth the risk. He had won the showdown and would be tasked with hiding the Sands of Time.

Mostly it was seeing his old teammates at a time when they could all stay together that got to him. Everyone had their own families and lives they moved onto. There was no way to stay monks in training forever. There were so many things he wished he could say to his younger self; to have more patience with Kimiko, more trust in Raimundo and be more forgiving of Clay. Though, these lessons were bound to fall on deaf ears. It was something he had to learn the hard way.

The hardest part was seeing Raimundo again. He had been so anxious that there wouldn't be a Dragon of Wind after he was gone those last few months. A fear Omi now knew was unwarranted. The legacy he left behind, while messy, would start a new era for Xiaolin. One that would bring dramatic change and recognition to the temples. So many students left wishing for his guidance, a feeling Omi knew all too well. But he knew better than to say anything in regards to the future. It would involve too much explaining, and would reveal Raimundo's position as leader before its time.

"Hey, Old Omi." Raimundo's smile faded when he noticed the older man wasn't celebrating. "You okay? We won."

"Ah, yes." It was hard not saying anything when he knew how difficult things would become for them. So hard to not tell Raimundo he was a good leader one more time. "I just remembered something is all." There was one thing Raimundo said the older monk told him when he was wandering around the past. "The future will remain bright so long as you stay together."

"...okay?" Raimundo shrugged and was drawn back into the conversation with his friends. Omi bid the younger monks goodbye as he thought where would be the best place to hide the Shen Gong Wu from his own students and Jack.