22

Vicky West

"Survive.

 It's all about surviving in this world. People don't seem to understand it when I say that, but it's true. The moment when my mother gave birth to me, I needed to survive. In this cruel business lifestyle, there are so many people who want to drag you down to the point you might end up dying.

Life became harder when my grandfather died, and I was responsible for the Moulin Rouge. Also, when my father passed away, I had no one. They questioned me 'What about your mom, Harry?' We said goodbye, and left each other's life. I'm satisfied with her departure out of my life. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way, and I know her feelings are mutual.

So there was no one who could even help me. At least, I thought that. On the contrary, I found out that my employees are my own family. They made me who I am today, and they helped me survive throughout the stress and with manipulative businessmen and women. I'm forever grateful for their love and support. I assume my grandfather experienced the same thing.

Yet, I need to be powerful enough to make it on my own. No matter how many times you go to meetings, or undergo a new business deal, you eventually end up being a bit more powerful than before. However, we will never be strong enough to really make it on our own. You always need people by your side, whoever they may be.

I've seen people struggling with expanding their business because they were incapable of having people by their side or just did not have anyone, sadly. At these moments, I realized how important people are. How important it is to have each other. I am blessed with this team because some people don't have a shoulder to cry on.

I might not have my grandfather who could give me advice. Nor do I have my father because he left earth. Also, I do not have my mother because she left me. But one day I'll have that certain person in my life who could help me survive in this cruel, chaotic, corruptive world."

I reached the end. My fingers brushed over the paper, and I sighed. I was aware Harry lived a tough life. Now and then I thought I witnessed heart-breaking moments in my life, but Harry most definitely experienced worse things. I closed the book, resting it on my nightstand, and turning the light off. But I didn't find the need to fall asleep when I knew Harry had a rough past.

I didn't understand how someone like him could be the only thing I could think about. He captivated my mind, whether it was positive or negative. Out of curiosity – and because I wanted someone to talk to – I grabbed my phone and opened Louis' and mine conversation. Maybe I would wake him up, maybe he was already awake, but I knew Louis was the one person I wanted to talk to right now.

Vicky: "I just finished it. It's so sad, Louis."

I was relieved to know that he found the need to response quickly.

Louis: "He has witnessed a lot of crap in his life."

Vicky: "What was the real reason he didn't publish this book? It feels like there is more..."

Louis: "There is indeed. Harry never wanted people to pity him. He once told me a business man needs to be strong and self-assured. Showing your true emotions isn't something he prefers to do. He runs away from his feelings or problems too much."

Vicky: "Maybe that's why he didn't contact me in the first place? He told me you are aware of what has happened between us."

Louis: "I'd say yes, however, I cannot read his mind. He has witnessed a lot of crap – like I mentioned previously – and I know most of the situations he has been through. Even so, I don't know everything about him. Once you tear his wall down, slowly, he manages to fix that wall again and add a new story of his past. I've heard a lot, seen a lot, but the only person who will be able to get everything out of him is you, Vicky."