Carnival

Luz's car only had a few mild hiccups on the way to the carnival. The most alarming was when they were idling at a stop light. The car shook and threatened to stall out. Luz just calmly switched the car from drive to neutral and the shaking subsided. Half an hour after leaving Camila's house they arrived at the carnival. The sound of family friendly radio hits could be heard intermingled with the joyful cries of adults and children alike.
     "It's been such a long time since we've been to a carnival!" Luz said as they exited the car. "You can already smell the popcorn and pretzels."
     "We have to get a side of that spicy cheese!" Amity said excitedly.
     "Whatever the lady wants, the lady gets." Luz smiled and intertwined her fingers with Amity's.
    The couple walked hand in hand through the main thoroughfare, smiling and laughing at the different stalls and acts the carnival had going on. They walked off to the side to take in a man with an elaborate mustache that was cracking two small whips along with different songs the crowd would call out.
"Abomination of my heart!" Amity called out after the performer finished Lady Gaga's 'Paparazzi'.
     "I see we have a fan of Skara the Bard." The man on stage said. "I think I can manage that."
"Dance with me." Amity smiled and pulled Luz into the aisle.
The man sang part of the song and cracked his whips while Luz and Amity danced. The crowd clapped along with the beat and cheered the two girls on. After their song was over, the couple bowed, eliciting cheers from the crowd.
"Let's give another round of applause to my impromptu helpers!" The man chuckled.
The two bowed once more and made their way, smiling broadly, back to the midway to find their next activity.
"I still can't believe that Skara was able to get her music played in the human realm." Luz chuckled.
"It makes sense. Her music is really good and she loves performing. Why wouldn't she try her hand in the human realm?" Amity said. "I hear she actually has a tour coming up next summer while school is out."
"We have to go! I guess it's a good thing that her fans think her pointed ears are part of her on stage persona and not real." Luz said. "Thank goodness cosplay is widely known. That way I get to see your cute ears and you don't have to hide them as often."
Luz winked and quickly kissed the tip of Amity's ear, causing her to turn an adorable shade of pink. "That's not fair Luz! Your ears are covered by your hair."
Luz moved her hair behind her ear and smiled. "You're right, get your revenge."
Amity smirked and kissed Luz's earlobe, but before pulling away gave it a cheeky little nibble. It was Luz's turn to change colors. Her caramel skin darkening several shades as her back stiffened and eyes widened. She stared at her girlfriend, who grinned innocently and winked. Luz adopted a serious look.
"Come here you!" She said and began chasing Amity.
The couple ran around for several minutes, laughing and teasing each other. Luz finally caught up with Amity, scooping her up in a hug from behind and twirling with her. She began tickling Amity's sides, causing her to laugh harder and snort a few times.
"I yield, I yield." Amity said between attacks. She turned around in Luz's arms and kissed her deeply.
Luz kissed her back and they were lost in the moment. Everything around them disappeared and it was just the two of them in this perfect moment of bliss. Their lips parted and they pressed their foreheads together and gazed into one another's eyes.
The moment was broken when a white glove tapped Luz's shoulder. She looked behind her and yelped as her vision was filled by the painted on smile and matte white face of a carnival clown. Amity jumped at Luz's reaction and held onto her arm.
"Hyuh-huh-huh! Hey you two, young love ith great, but maybe wait til you get home! Hyuk!" The clown said with a wink that made both of them shudder.
"Right, sorry." Amity said. "Luz, I seem to remember you promising to win me a prize."
Luz glared at the clown for disturbing their tender moment. "I did, didn't I. Let's head over to the game alley." As they left, Luz turned back around and pointed at her eyes then flipped her fingers around to point at the clown.
The game alley was abuzz with noise. The clinking sound of games expelling tokens, electric buzzers indicating winners, and carnival barkers trying to get more people to come to their games. The girls walked down the alley playing a game here and there. They were finishing a game of Drown the Clown, Luz winning by a small margin, when Amity let out an excited squeak.
"Luz, I know what I want you to win me!" Amity said and pulled her by the hand.
Amity all but dragged her girlfriend in front of a game with a wall of giant otters of varying colors. The game in question was well known for being nearly impossible. Luz looked from the rope ladder suspended at an angle above an inflatable ramp, to the wall of brightly colored otters and finally to the beaming eyes of her girlfriend.
"What color do you want?" Luz said confidently.
"I want a purple one." Amity smiled.
"I'd like to pay for three attempts." Luz told the bored looking teen behind the counter.
"That'll be nine dollars. Or for twelve you get a fifth try for free." He told her.
Luz shrugged. "Why not." She pulled out the cash and slid it to the boy to count.
After he was finished, he opened the gate, led Luz through and held the middle rope ladder for her to get positioned on the first step. She took a steadying breath and placed her hands on the first rung. The ladder wobbled under her added weight and she carefully placed her hands two steps up so she could place her feet on the first.
"You ready?" He asked.
"You can do it mi batata!" Amity cheered.
Luz nodded and he released his hold on the ladder. She wobbled perilously for a moment before flipping to the right. She slid down the ramp and stood up. Before getting in position she took a glance at the other two participants on the adjoining ladders to see what strategies they were using.
     The boy to her right tried moving quickly. This seemed to work for a moment, but half way up the ladder dumped him off. The young girl to her left had her body flat and was slowly making her way closer to the bell she had to ring.
     She lowered herself flat and nodded to the attendant that she was ready. Luz pulled herself up the ladder with her arms, pausing momentarily to attempt to steady the ladder with her legs. She was three quarters there when she heard the bell ding to her left. She turned suddenly and was dumped off. The young girl excitedly cheered as she slid down the ramp and pointed at one of the large pink otters.
     "Good job!" Luz smiled and gave the girl a thumbs up.
      "Thank you!" She said while hugging her prize tightly. "I bet you can win one too!"
     "I have to. My girlfriend really wants one of those otters." Luz responded with a chuckle and waited for the attendant to finish helping the boy restart.
     "I'll cheer for you!" The girl said and stood next to her parents.
     "Why don't you help me cheer for her?" Amity said. "As long as your parents are okay with it."
     The girl looked at her parents and they nodded. She ran over to Amity, otter still clutched in her arms. "I'm Katie, what's your name?"
     Amity squatted down to Katie's level and smiled. "Amity. It's so good to meet you, Katie."
     "I like your hair!" Katie smiled. Her eyes narrowed as she noticed Amity's ears. She leaned in close and whispered. "Are you an elf?"
     "Not quite." Amity chuckled and whispered conspiratorially. "I'm a witch. That's why my ears are pointy. But, it's a secret, so don't tell anyone."
     "Are you a friendly witch?" Katie asked, suspiciously.
    "I sure am. The girl trying to win the game is my girlfriend. She's the best human I've ever met." She smiled.
    "I'll make sure to cheer extra hard for her!" Katie said excitedly.
    "Thank you, Katie, so will I." She grinned and stood to watch Luz.
    For her third attempt, Luz decided to try Katie's method again. She was doing well, but at the three quarter mark the ladder began to wobble and flipped completely over, dropping her onto the ramp once more. Attempt number four was fueled by annoyance and spite. She moved as fast as she could but fell off near the bottom. She lay on the ramp for a moment when she noticed Amity gesturing for her to come over to her.
     Luz approached. "What's up sweet potato?" She asked, prompting a cute little giggle from Katie.
    "You can do this. One more try is all you need." Amity said supportively. "I think I have a method that could work."
     "I'm all ears." Luz said.
     Amity whispered her idea into Luz's ear.
     "That might just work!" She kissed Amity's cheek. "You're a genius!"
     Katie looked up at the lavender haired witch. "Ooohh you're in love!" She teased.
     "I really am." Amity blushed. "Okay, let's give it our all! Luz can do it for sure if we cheer for her!"
     "Go Luz! You can do it!" They said in unison.
     "Last try." The game attendant said. "You'll have to pay for more if you want to try again."
     "I won't need to. That purple otter is mine." She responded confidently.
     "Good luck. You ready?" He asked after she was in position.
     She nodded and began moving. She stepped carefully, keeping her body low. After a few more steps she felt the ladder tilting. Rather than fight it, she leaned into the tilt. Pressing her body as flat as she could, she quickly hooked her knees around one of the rungs. She was hanging upside down now, and pushed down the urge to celebrate, using the moment to calm her nerves. Amity and Katie were cheering her on as she carefully crawled her way up the inclined ladder, making sure to hook her knees before moving her hands. As she was nearing the end her hands began to ache, but she pushed through the discomfort until she reached the final rung. She reached up through the ladder and rang the bell twice for good measure. She flopped onto the ramp with a woop of victory. 
     The attendant was clapping for her with an amused smile. "Good work. Which one did you say you wanted?"
     "The purple one please." Luz said.
     "Here you go, a prize well earned." He handed her the coveted otter. "Enjoy the rest of your day."
     Luz walked confidently over to her awesome girlfriend and presented her spoils. "One otter for the best girlfriend in the world."
     "I love it!" Amity said excitedly.
     "Thank you for helping Amity cheer for me. I don't think I could have done it without you two." She smiled down at the cute little girl.
     Katie giggled and was then summoned by her parents. "Your secret is safe with me." She whispered to Amity before running to her parents.
     "I want one." Amity said as she leaned against Luz and watched the family leave.
     "One day we'll have a couple of our own and we'll be the best moms to them." Luz kissed the side of Amity's head and they made their way toward the rides.