Prologue

Prologue

Papalubog na ang araw nang huminto ang sasakyan sa pamilyar na kalsada. I hadn't had any expectations, pero tila ibang-iba na ang lugar na ito. Six long years had passed since I last walked these streets, and now, I felt like an outsider in the very place where I had grown up.

As I stepped out of the car and strolled through town, my memories flooded back. The old coffee shop, a relic from my past, still stood on the same corner. Its sign, though faded, held onto the essence of its former self. May bagong neon sign na itinabi roon, ngunit hindi inalis ang lumang sign na siyang kinalakihan ko. With a mix of curiosity and nostalgia, I decided to step inside.

Pagpasok ko ay sinalubong ako ng aroma ng kape. Gone were the worn-out leather couch we used to sit back then. Napalitan iyon ng mga makabangong sofa, at mas dumami pa ang mga mesa roon. Kahit tila ibang-iba na iyon sa dati, there were things that remained the same. The old tip jar on the counter, the painting on the wall, and the same tiny chalkboard still hangs on the wall. Doon sinusulat dati ang coffee of the day, and we as high school kids always order what was written on it. Nevertheless, it hadn't been removed, which brought a smile to my face as I approached it.

San Nicholas held a trove of memories, both bitter and sweet. The staff were now faces I couldn't quite recognize, a testament to how time had moved forward.

"Devon?"

Napalingon ako nang may tumawag sa pangalan ko. It was a girl, carrying a baby, while a toddler held the hem of her skirt.

"Devon! Ikaw nga!" She rushed towards me, but mindful of the kids she had with her. "Kumusta ka na?"

I smiled. "I'm good. How are you, Jenny?"

Alam kong masyadong matabang ang sagot ko, but we never had contact within the six years I was gone, at nang umalis ako ay hindi rin maayos ang pagkapaalam ko sa kanya. She was my high school best friend, one of the few people I trusted so much.

...and betrayed me.

"Ang ganda-ganda mo na!" Komento niya.

I prevented the urge to ask since when did I became ugly. Her presence evokes so many memories but I told myself I am over it. I forgive her, but I cannot forget it. Sa loob ko ay tinatanong ko kung saan siya kumukuha ng kapal ng mukha para ngumiti sa akin, as if what she did six years ago was nothing.

Pilit akong ngumiti. "Thank you," sagot ko. I know I am beautiful, at hindi rin ako plastic para sabihan siyang "you too" kahit hindi naman. She still looked the same, only older and sort of fat. I keep my observation to myself.

"Totoo nga ang sabi-sabi na uuwi ka!" Masayang kwento niya. She settled her toddler on the nearest chair, at inayos ang pagkakahawak sa sanggol.

I smiled at hindi nagkomento. Ibinaling ko ang tingin sa dala niyang bata to somewhat lessen the awkward air between us.