Chapter 46

It wasn't long before Team 7 was given a new mission. It wasn't an ordinary one they received, but a special class A mission, if not S. Tsunade had actually wanted to give them a B mission, but Shizune told her that Gaara had been kidnapped by Akatsuki. Since Team 7 was currently free, she had decided to send them.

And since it was an important mission, Kakashi wasn't late either, so they could set off straight away. On the way to Sunagakure, they had met Temari, who had immediately joined them and brought the team to Sunagakure. Unfortunately, they had already learned that Kankuro couldn't stop them and was arrested. Sakura had already set to work and made her team wait until she had finished treating Kankuro.

Nobody really cared that a granny wanted to attack Kakashi. Grandma Chiyo had thought he was the white rice tooth, which had probably been Kakashi's father. Hours passed and Sakura had been able to heal Kankuro, who was able to tell them that Sasori had poisoned him. Sasori was well known in Sunagakura, having worked with dolls as a child. Kakashi sent all the information they had received to Konoha with Pakkun.

As it was already late in the evening, Team 7 didn't set off until the next day to catch up with Akatsuki. Hinari, like Naruto, had wanted to go the day before, but it wouldn't have been a good idea. They didn't know what abilities the members of Akatsuki had. Except for one person who Hinari knew too well.

Grandma Chiyo accompanied Team 7, as she was sure she would be best able to stand up to Sasori. On the way, she told them what had happened and why Sasori had become like this. In passing, she also talked about Gaara and his bijuu. The more she talked, the angrier Naruto became. He hated it when people spoke badly about the Jinchuurikis. He knew exactly how Gaara had felt before he had met him. He also made this clear to Grandma Chiyo, who had looked at him with a surprised expression. She would never have thought that such a person could be protected. But she realized that Naruto wasn't just anyone. With mere words, he could make friends and get people to change. Not everyone had that kind of ability.

The team stopped in the middle of a clearing. Kakashi and Hinari realized that something was approaching. A soft mist formed before a person approached. "Itachi Uchiha...", Kakashi whispered. "Don't look him in the eye!"

"Kakashi Hatake, as smart as ever." spoke the Uchiha, looking at the group. He lingered on Hinari for a moment before looking at Naruto. So he was back from his journey. If that was the case, he could get Sasuke back soon. "We mustn't waste any time!" shouted Naruto, as he was determined to save Gaara. He didn't have time to worry about this Itachi.

Hinari had to agree with Naruto. They couldn't waste any more time. In order to save Gaara faster, she ran a few steps forward. "Go on. I'll take care of him." "But what..." Naruto began and was immediately interrupted by her. "Like him, I have the Sharingan. Nothing will happen to me. Besides, you can get to Gaara faster this way."

Kakashi looked at his student. She was strong enough and knew how to fight against Itachi. If he didn't know better, then they were on the same level. Maybe Hinari was even better.

"Follow me when you're ready." the Hatake finally said. "What, you want to let her fight here alone?!" Naruto grumbled immediately. "Have faith in her Naruto." The Uzumaki looked at Hinari. She was a chunin and had always been the best in the academy. She wasn't blind anymore, so she was certainly even stronger. "Nah well..." he muttered and looked at Hinari determinedly. "You can do it Hinari! Come to us when you've finished him off!"

Hinari smiled softly at her friend before they left the clearing. When Hinari was sure that they had disappeared, she dropped her fighting stance. "What will happen to Gaara?" "He will be deprived of the bijuu. That also means that Gaara will die." Hinari swallowed hard. Why did Itachi have to go through something like this? Why was everything so unfair?

"How far along is your illness?" Hinari now wanted to know. She had realized for some time that something was wrong. His chakra betrayed him.

"I don't have long left. But the medication is helping." The Uchiha spoke and could see her sad eyes. It pained him to know that she would soon find out that it was over for him. His hand rested on her hair, between her two buns. "Don't worry about me."

"But I'm worried!" Hinari shouted with tears in her eyes. "You...you've already done so much...for me...for Sasuke...for Konoha. How can you just accept that you're going to die! I...owe you so much..." Itachi looked worriedly at the young woman. "Hinari, you've done so much on your own. You have friends and a home. You won't be alone when I'm gone."

"Sasuke is not with me! He's a part of my family, just like you! Why can't you tell him and Konoha the truth? Maybe Tsunade can help you as much as he can help me!" Itachi looked at the Uchiha with a smile. It was sweet of her to believe that he could still be helped. Unfortunately, he was beyond help and had already decided on this path back then. Hinari would continue Shisui and his path and bring peace to this world. Together with Naruto, she would surely manage that.

"I have to go now. Otherwise it'll be noticeable that I'm stalling." Hinari nodded and bowed her head. "Remember that, Hinari. I'm always with you." Itachi smiled before he tapped his fingers against her forehead and finally released the fake body.