CHAPTER 33

CHAPTER 33

[KULANI]

When Mabontle heard that Kurhula was on his way here, she offered to go out for some fresh air. I couldn’t allow it because what kind of a sister disturbs the other’s sleep to that extent, all because of relationship problems? Plus it’s not safe outside. We live in a fvcking rape capital for Christ’s sake. Okay, why am I swearing? Kurhula’s filthy habits are rubbing off on me. I will be meeting him in the car. Mabontle needs to stay here and get some rest. He calls me when he arrives and I change into the dress I was wearing in the afternoon.
‘You shouldn’t have come’
That’s the first thing I say after getting comfortable on the passenger seat.
‘I know it’s bad luck to see the bride before—’
‘I’m not sure I’m still a bride anymore’ my thoughts race down and out of my verbal channels before I can stop them. He looks like a little child that just got caught with his hand trapped in a sugar jar.
‘I swear, I did not know that she was pregnant. I’m not even sure if that kid is mine’
‘You said the same thing about Boitumelo’s baby. Should I blame genetics for the method of thinking?’
He frowns.
‘Why am I being crucified for whatever the fvck is happening in FK’s life?’
I keep quiet. I hate speaking when I am boiling because I don’t have the superpower of taking words back.
‘I have a confession to make’ he says. I don’t like the sound of that nor the silence that accompanies it. I’m still quiet. He reaches for my hand and I shift it away. We can talk without touching one another. I need to ebe able to think straight.
‘Kgahli is the last person I dated before you came into my life’
I’m waiting for the confession. Right now he’s stating the obvious.
‘I—’ he stops and takes a deep breath. ‘I’m going to need you to believe me on this’
‘Believe you on what?’
‘I never sold the house because she needed a place to stay’
I laugh because I’m convinced he must be joking.
‘So you lied about selling it?’
‘I was afraid you wouldn’t understand, and I couldn’t just throw her out to the streets. I was the only person she knew in PTA. Baby please trust me because I’m not losing you over this’
‘Start from the beginning’
Why is he breathing so heavily?
‘She was supposed to be a one-night stand, to be honest. It was never anything serious but when she found a retail job close-by, we ended up spending a lot of time together. I don’t want to discuss her personal life but life in general hasn’t been that gentle with her. I didn’t want to add on to that’
‘And the baby?’
‘As I said, I’m not even sure that it’s mine. We’ve always used protection’
‘It breaks’
He scoffs. ‘At my big age?’
‘Okay big man. I need some sleep’
‘You can’t always sleep your problems away’ he softly says. I don’t know where to get mad at this or to laugh at his tone. What does he want from me?
‘What happens if the child is yours?’
He clears his throat.
‘I… I’ll do right by him… or her’
‘And the mother?’
‘I’m not going to turn this into a polygamous circus if that’s what you’re asking’
‘When are you planning on doing a DNA test?’
‘Immediately after the wedding’
I sigh. I am honestly too young for all of this mess. My peers are in their res rooms stressing about their academics and I’m here – stressed out because this one might have another child. It’s not the child I’m worried about. It’s his character that’s in question. Nems are consistent frauds and they’re very good at disguising this fact. There’s nothing I hate more than the idea of being a loyal clown to a whxre. I am questioning a lot of things and my head is buzzing with doubts and what-ifs.
‘Go back home. I’ll see you at the altar’
He locks the car when I’m about to turn to step out.
‘I don’t like seeing you like this. It was never my intention to hurt you’
‘We cannot undo the past and I won’t hold it up your face. Of course I’m upset but only because I never expected any of this. I just need you to promise me one thing’
‘Anything…’
‘No more surprises?’
‘No more surprises’ he gets closer as he speaks and I laugh while moving further from him.
‘You’re not even supposed to be here. Don’t touch me’
‘Just a soft peck on the lips and I’ll let you go. I promise’
I give him what he wants and of course, it does not end there as expected. I break away from him when he starts fondling my bxxbs. He needs to go. He can save all this energy for our honeymoon.