Chapter Eighteen: Dodi Fayed

25th of July 1997 - St. Tropez

Laughter filled the air and Diana couldn't help but smile as she watched her children play around the pool; she lay with a drink in her hand in a sun lounger by the pool, sunglasses on her face as she relaxed. 

The weather had been beautiful since they had arrived here, it was so refreshing after the dullness that had become London since her divorce; something that she hadn't seemed to be able to escape. 

Diana had been campaigning for a more official role, her talks with the new prime minster, Tony Blair, they had discussed a special role for her as an overseas ambassador for Britain. 

Tony Blair recognised her skills, he had asked her to undertake missions abroad for Britain and Diana had thrilled at the idea that she was important and needed again after being dismissed as it were from her royal position. 

However, that could all wait until she returned from her holiday, nor did she wish to upset her gracious hosts with talk about her divorce and her role going forward. 

Mohamed Al-Fayed and his wife had been so gracious to open their holiday home to her and her children, who had known both her and Charles since 1986 when they were introduced at a polo tournament sponsored by Harrods. 

Diana remembered it well, she had stepped up to sit by Mohamed who had looked rather lonely in the royal box while the Queen had been distracted by her country friends. 

Mohamed had reassured her that they would have nothing to worry about here, he had even for the holiday bought a 195 ft yacht, the Jonikal for the occasion that he encouraged Diana to make use of. 

It was an invite that Diana hadn't wanted to refuse, a chance to slip away after everything that had happened after a few rough blows for Diana and she was eager to get away from London while she had the chance to do so. 

Prince Charles was throwing a lavish birthday party for Camilla Parker Bowles at Highgrove, the house he and Diana once shared and she had just broken up with surgeon Hasnat, due to the media frenzy around their relationship. 

It was the month before William, Harry and Adeline would be at Balmoral with their father and the rest of the royals, who no longer accepted her; she would be left alone for the rest of summer. 

Diana was invited by Mohamed, a friend and businessman, to vacation in Saint-Tropez with her children; insisting that it was just what she needed to get away from all the drama in London, him and his wife were happy to host them. 

The weather was perfect, she loved the feel of the sun on her skin and she wished that she could do this more often; to escape from miserable England and ignore all her worries in such a place like this without a care in the world. 

Diana didn't want to think about how lonely she would be when her children disappeared off to Scotland with their father, her own reprieve was that she wouldn't be trapped in the Scottish countryside. 

"Harry don't be so rough with your sister," Diana called spotting her younger son trying to wrestle his sister until the pool, she removed her sunglasses as she stared at him. 

Adeline and William continued on with their game while Harry came sulking across the patio to sit beside his mother; she stared at him knowing that she couldn't back down, the last thing that she wanted was for his behaviour to grow even more out of control than he had been. 

"Now don't look at me like that," Diana scolded him lightly, she tilted her head as she watched him, she had tried to take a firmer hand in raising her younger son even if she did continue to spoil him a little.